cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Put ink in the wrong tank in new G5020 printer

Stepinwolf
Contributor

I know it was stupid, but I am trying to figure out what to do after being stupid.  I put yellow ink into the Magenta tank.  The printer is new, has never been turned on.  So I am open to listening to suggestions that might make this printer be OK eventually.  I haven't put any in the Yellow tank.  I was wondering it this ink has anti-bleed chemicals in it.  I know that some inks do such that when two colors come in contact, the pigment percipatates out.  I am hoping this is not the case for when I try to fill the tank with the correct color in the future.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

UPDATE:  I was able to obtain a syringe with a blunt 4” 25 Gage needle and use it to pull as much most of the yellow ink from the Magenta tank and placed it in the Yellow tank.  Then I refilled the Magenta tank with the correct ink.  From that point I went through the setup steps provided.  The printer seems to be functioning well, so I think if there are problems with the color, it will improve as more ink gets flushed through the system.  I think I could have used a 14 gage needle and it would have fit down in the tank.  I needed most of the 4” length to reach the bottom of the tank.  So far so good.  

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Danny

Hi, Stepinwolf!

So that the Community can help you better, we need to know exactly which Canon printer model you're using.  To date, we have not put out any product using the model name "GL5020," but the printer you're describing sounds similar to the PIXMA G5020.  Is that what you're using, or is it something else?

That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue.  If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE.

Thanks and have a great day!

You are right the printer is a Canon PIXMA G5020.  

The printer may never be the same or "OK".

This is why,  The amount of $$$ you might need to spent to try resolve this will likely be prohibative. 

You can try to siphon out as much of the incorrect ink as possible, then fill with the correct color and perform many

cleanings until the tank has been flushed out.  Have never looked at a tank, so have no idea if removing ink is even possible.   

Maybe send it to Canon for repair?  <<<  that definitely won't be cheap.

Either way, it wll probably cost you in ink, time, shipping or repair the same amount as a new device. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I had the feeling that is true I couldn’t believe that I had made the mistake until it was too late. Since the machine has not been turned on, the tubing and the print head are not yet contaminated. Getting the ink out looks difficult since a lot of the design of the refiling system is to avoid getting ink all over everything, getting something into the tank to draw the incorrect ink out would not be easy.

Agree.  Thought this might be the case.  At this point, call Canon.  Tell them what you did and see what they recommend.  They might even help. 

Canon Support

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

UPDATE:  I was able to obtain a syringe with a blunt 4” 25 Gage needle and use it to pull as much most of the yellow ink from the Magenta tank and placed it in the Yellow tank.  Then I refilled the Magenta tank with the correct ink.  From that point I went through the setup steps provided.  The printer seems to be functioning well, so I think if there are problems with the color, it will improve as more ink gets flushed through the system.  I think I could have used a 14 gage needle and it would have fit down in the tank.  I needed most of the 4” length to reach the bottom of the tank.  So far so good.  

Thank you for posting the solution here as well as in the reviews of the "Dispense All - 10 Pack - Dispensing Needle 4" - Blunt Tip Luer Lock" on Amazon. I made the same mistake of pouring the yellow ink into the Magenta tank of a brand new Prixma G6020. After a failed attempt to disassemble the printer to swap the tanks, I found your post here detailing your success siphoning out the ink with a syringe. I then went onto Amazon to search for 4" dispensing needles, and upon finding one, I saw your comment in the reviews section along with photos. I purchased a 21 gauge needle because it had the fastest shipping time but I agree with your assessment that a 14 gauge would have likely worked (and been faster). The process of transferring the ink from one tank to the other went smoothly and I haven't noticed any impact to print color quality. Thanks again for going the extra mile to share your solution with the world!

Stepinwolf
Contributor

I am glad it helped. I had some color issues initially since there was still some of the wrong color in the lines, but it cleared up after some printing.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Positive results are always good to hear. 👍

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements