cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MX 492 ADF Paper Jam

WHammock316
Apprentice

I have a Pixma MX 492 printer/scanner.

I had a paper jam when scanning and continue to get the ADF paper jam error message.
Here is what I have done so far to attempt to fix the problem not necessarily in the order performed :

Cleared all paper

Took the printer outside and used an air compressor to blow out all the rollers and feeders inside the printer with the (for lack of a better term) paper jam removal doors (all 3) open

Cleaned all the rollers with rubbing alcohol

Unplugged the printer from the power and computer, pressed the ON button for varying length of time (30 sec, 1 min, 2 min)

Attempted a hard reset according to instructions on a similar printer from a youtube video.

Turned printer upside down and tapped and shook it while unplugged.

Uninstalled and reinstalled all software

Installed new cartridges and aligned the print heads.

None of this have fixed the problem

This happens when I use the feeder on top of the printer to scan.  It will print from the computer just fine.

Can someone help me fix this issue?  

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Two possible scenarios.

A. There is still something present in the ADF, corner piece of paper, etc

B. You damaged something if you had to forcefully remove paper from the feeding system.

You can troubleshoot using the copy feature with a single sheet of paper in the ADF.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Darius
Whiz

Hi WHammock316.

WIth consideration to the steps taken already, if the paper that is jamming isn't overly thick/rigid, wrinkled, or stapled, then the printer will need to be replaced.

If the printer is within one year of the original date of purchase, it is under warranty.  Create/log into a Canon Account and register your printer HERE, and call the number provided on the site for support options.

If the printer was purchased more than one year ago, I can offer the Canon Upgrade Program. The Canon Upgrade Program provides a one-time discount on the purchase of a replacement printer directly through Canon U.S.A., and comes with free ground shipping.

If you're interested, you may call one of our phone-based Canon Direct agents at (866) 443-8002. You will need to have the printer's serial number for this call; the serial number may be found on the back of or inside the front of the printer. Please keep in mind, you are under no obligation to take advantage of this offer immediately to gain the information.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

After repeated attempts to call Canon I was finally able to get a real person on the phone.  The technician diagnosed the problem in about 30 seconds.  A paper sensor switch went out causing the machine to think that there was paper jammed.  
So, yes, I had to buy a new printer.  Not happy.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements