cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My printer won't print with my new Macbook Pro

neurosax
Apprentice

I have a Pixma 532 and have been uysing it for over a year with an old Macbook Pro. I just bought a new Macbook Pro with Mac OS 11.4 (Big Sur). I can't print anything. I get a 311 error message. I tried dumping all my Canon drivers from the library and reloading the newest updates available. I'm still having no luck. Any other suggestions?

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Support Code Errors MX532

Canon Knowledge Base - Support Code List - MX532

311 appears to be an error related to your OS.

@neurosax wrote:

I tried dumping all my Canon drivers from the library and reloading the newest updates available. 

Does this mean you tried loading drivers for an older MAC OS on your new MAC?  This might cause problems.

Steps for proper removal:

System preferences > Printers and scanners

Select printer, use the minus (-) key to remove the device

Removing drivers:

This is done from the Applications folder.  I don't recommend deleting files from the Libraries folder unless you are sure of the results.  This method can leave the OS in a unstable state.  

Big Sur drivers do exist for the MX532, you'll need both the CUPS driver (to print) and the ICA driver (to scan).  Note, the support site lists support for 11.0...  it doesn't state support for 11.4 but it is implied.

Support | MX Series - Inkjet | PIXMA MX532 | Canon USA

311 is a communication error.  This might also be caused by your USB cable.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks for your reply. I downloaded the printer and scanner drivers from the Canon site after dumping the old versions. I located the old software by doing a Canon search, and the only software was in the library which was in the application folder.

Announcements