cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX870 device names multiplying uncontrollably

Orthoducks
Contributor

I use my computer in two locations, and I have a Canon MX870 printer in each. I like the printer, and I thought that having the same model in each location would make my work easier. It seems to be making things harder instead.

I originally had two device names for the printer, "Canon MX870 series printer" and "Canon MX870 series FAX." A few weeks ago I found that the two names had split into four: I now had a "Canon MX870 series printer (Copy 1)" and "…(Copy 2)," and the same for the FAX.

Apart from cluttering up the device name drop-down, this made things very confusing. The computer gave me no clues to which "copy" was connected to the printer. Each time I printed a document I had to play a guessing game.

I deleted the surplus device names and renamed the active ones to eliminate the "copy" numbers, but a week later, the two pairs of names were back. Now, another week later, I've got three pairs.

I realized that for some reason, each time I move the computer from one location to the other, it fails to recognize the printer and creates a new pair of device names.

How can I make it stop doing that? The situation is unacceptable – if I can't fix it, I'll have to get rid of one of the printers and buy a different model just to make the device names behave!

3 REPLIES 3

Tiffany

Hi Orthoducks!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know what Computer Operating System you're using (Windows XP/Vista/7/8 or Mac 10.x).

Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is an urgent support need, please CLICK HERE to reach our friendly Technical Support Team by phone or email.

Thanks and have a great day!

The OS is Windows 7 Professional.

The only other possibly relevant fact I can think of is that I use a docking station in one location, and I recently stopped using one in the other, due to a change in my work.

Things have gotten even weirder.

Although I haven't deleted any device names, Devices and printers now lists only two MX870 devices, "Canon MX870 series Printer (Copy 3)" and "Canon MX870 series FAX (Copy 1)."

When I right click FAX (Copy 1) and select Properties, it offers me a choice of four devices: in the order of appearance, FAX (Copy 1), Prfinter (Copy 2), Printer (Copy 1), and FAX (Copy 2).

When I right click Printer (Copy 3) it lists Printer (Copy 3) and FAX (with no "copy" number).

When I right click FAX (Copy 1), select Delete Printer Queue, and choose FAX (Copy 1), I get a dialog which asks me, "Are you sure you want to delete printer 'Canon MX870 series FAX (Copy 1)'?" (I selected "Delete print queue" and it's asking me if I want to delete the printer!)

The whole thing is totally tangled up, and seems to be getting worse.

I'm considering deleting all of the Canon device names and reinstalling, but the weirdness quotient is so high now that I'm concerned I might be left with no usable devices. I also see no reason why, if I succeed, it shouldn't just get messed up again.

Can someone help, please?

Announcements