cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MG7720: Error B203 Suddenly occurs, on MULTIPLE printers in different locations

TerriLLBean
Contributor

Yesterday, I spent the afternoon helping a friend troubleshoot a B203 error on her Canon MG7720 (Which I recommended she purchase a while back). She was printing key papers and encountered this error.  After hours on the phone with Canon support, she finally just purchased a new printer.

HOWEVER, this morning, I went to print something on MY Canon MG7720 printer, and suddenly a B203 error appeared! There is no way our printers would simultaneously have errors requiring a repair.  As a software engineer who spends time debugging, this sounds to me like a bad device driver or firmware update when the printer searches to update.

Has anyone else encountered a B203 error recently (and suddenly) on their printer?  Suggestions for how to possibly update the firmware, when the printer goes into a B203 and won't update. Other suggestions are appreciated.

Terri

6 REPLIES 6

TerriLLBean
Contributor

I am hoping for suggestions from anyone in the community. Printing is of utmost importance to me. 

Hi, Terri!

Thanks for posting on our forum! This community is designed for your fellow Canon owners to help each other out with any problems they may encounter. If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE.

Thanks and have a great day!

Thank you for your response and the Links. I am also pursuing support (although they simply try to sell you a new printer 🙂  ). But I did not know about the knowledgebase. Thank you for that. I'm searching for that error

Terri

Hi TerriLLBean,

Please check for paper jams:

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART162336

Next, please reseat the ink tanks and printhead:

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART141309

If the B203 error persists, your PIXMA MG7720 would require service.  You are eligible for Canon's Upgrade Program. This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service, or for some reason are incompatible with a new or upgraded system. This option allows you a one-time opportunity to purchase a replacement product, discounted from the list price.

To help you get up and running quickly, we also offer free standard shipping (if the order is completed by 12:30PM ET). If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002.  They're available weekdays and Saturdays after 9 AM ET (6 AM PT). Let them know you have been working with technical support and the Canon Upgrade Program was offered.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I've looked at all the obvious suggestions. There's no jams, or problems with the internet.  I've also tried reseating the printer ink and print head.

NOTE- this is happening with the same error on two different MG7720 printers in 2 different locations. So I'm also looking to verify that there was not a firmware update. This smells of a firmware issue and not a random "we both just happened to have problems with our print heads at the same time".

I've found a few suggestions on the internet for cleaning the print head. I will try that this evening. And work with support after that. The "ok, just buy a new Canon" approach is a bit worrisome, since Canons appear to break down with little that you can do.

Thank you to date, for your suggestions and I'll update this post once I try a few things with the print head.

Terri

Update. I have cleaned the print head and reseated it. Still receiving an error B203

Announcements