cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Pixma MG2520

aallynw
Apprentice

In the past 8 months my printer will not print text.  My laptop recognizes the device (Lenovo Thinkpad Edge 520) with a windows 10 upgrade (original ops 7), engaging the print function will activate the printer, it will inject paper, the ususal printing noise will occur, eject the paper but, there will be no printed text.  Sometimes it will print email addresses/links from a MS Word doc (they are hot links in the doc).  On occasion, graphics will print from a PDF but, no text from the doc.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled, diagnostics test results return in a "Ready Status", and I have made changes in "Properties Dialog" to no avail.

I have been informed that there may be a Windows 10 update that caused some issues with personal (the low end ones) printers. A friend with a Brother personal printer was able to restore theirs to operational by deleting the particular update.  That did not work for me.  

Seeking possible solutions, the scanning works fine.  Copyiing will not work as well (printing required.

Please advise,

Anthony

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

When a printer doesn't print text, across multiple file types, it usually means there is an issue with its driver (wrong or incorrect) one being used.

Did the printer work correctly under windows 7?

Did you reinstall if after upgrading to windows 10?

How is the printer connected? (USB or wireless)

Start here:

Perform maintenance, print a nozzle check pattern.  Does this print correctly?

Next step:

Remove the device from Control Panel > Device and Printers (just right-click and select remove from the context menu).

Now uninstall the printers drivers (all of them) form Control Panel > Programs and Features

Reboot your computer

Drivers for Windows 10 are here:

Support | MG Series | PIXMA MG2520 (MG2500 Series) | Canon USA

Now use the MG2500 Full Drivers and Install Package from the link above to reinstall your printer.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hello Rick,

I have uninstalled all components and reinstalled with the download from the reference link that you sent (full package and drivers).  I used that download days before I posted on this site. 

The printer was working after the conversion to Windows 10 years ago.  This problem just surfaced 3-4 months ago (approximate, the upgrade to Win 10 was 2015-16 when it was free).

The printer worked fine with Win 7 and 10 (until recently)

I did not reinstall the printer after upgrade because it was working fine until recently

I took the other steps you suggested before I posted to this site

I have printed to "Print Head Alignment" pattern during installation.  I does not print the arrow in the upper left corner of the printout.  I does print colored columns in a certain pattern (see attached)

The printer is connected via USB

The printer was purchased Nov 2014

Printer Align Pattern.pdf

Here is the nozzle check pattern

Nozzle Pattern.JPG1.jpg

Here is the Guide Pattern from the menu

Nozzle Pattern.JPG

I appears that I may have a clogged nozzle for the  black ink.  What do you think?  Does mean JUST REPLACE THE PRINTER?

i await your response.

Angie68
Apprentice
This sounds like a stupid suggestion but have you checked the ink cartridge to make sure you pulled off the orange tape thats there for shipping purposes?

Angie68
Apprentice
Sorry, just read you did a nozzle check. Sometimes its easier and cheaper on your mental health to replace.

Thanks Angie68,

After all that trouble shooting that I did, it came down to replacing the ink with Canon Brand cartridges.  A friend in Florida advised that other than Canon products can cause issues and I read that Canon includes updated firmware with ink replacements.  The printer has been working fine since the new ink was installed.

I appreciate the input.

Announcements