cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital Photo Professional 4 - Pink rectangles

piponazo
Apprentice

Hi!

I am a quite recent user of DDP 4, and after few days editing some RAW pictures I noticed that some images are "corrupted?". I noticed this after trying to export several .CR2 files into JPEG. Some of the exported images were containing pink rectangles in the bottom part. After noticing that, I opened DPP to check if the problem was also present in the original RAW images. I could see that the images were showing the same defect when going to the "EDIT" mode.

Screenshot1.png

Screenshot2.png

Interestingly, the thumbnails do not show the defect, and in "Quick Check" mode, I do not see it either.

Screenshot3.png

Do you think this could be a corruption problem? Maybe a bug in DPP? I would appreciate if you could provide some feedback.

Cheers!

7 REPLIES 7

Stephen

Hello!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know which camera you're using, any error messages you're seeing, and the Computer Operating System you're using (Windows Vista/7/8/10 or macOS 10.x), as well as the way you transferred your images to your computer (via direct transfer from the Camera over USB cable, built-in card reader, a card reader connected by USB cable, or over WiFi, etc.).

Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue!

If you're in the United States, and this is an urgent support need, please click HERE to visit your My Canon Account to discover your personalized support options. 

If you're outside of the USA, please click HERE to find support options in your country.

Thanks and have a great day!

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your prompt reply and sorry for skipping all these details. Please, find here some more details:

Camera: Canon 1200D.

Lens: Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM

Transfer mode: I extracted the card from the camera and used the Built-In card reader in the laptop.

DDP Version: 4.12.60.0

Sadly I do not keep the original version of the .CR2 file prior to the modifications I did with DPP (Lens corrections, gamma adjustments, etc). But I had uploaded the .CR2 problematic file to my personal GDrive account to share it here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11aqgIVl8mEjp_2uKJYvGejezhreD7gEn/view?usp=sharing

Some other interesting facts:

• When opening the image in the default "Photos" Windows 10 app, I do not see the pink rectangle.
  • During years I have been shooting directly in JPEG and I never observed this issue. I just noticed this recently when I started shooting in RAW and editing some images with DPP. 
  • The issue only happens in a small fractions of the images taken: 3-5% of the total.
  • The area of corruption is different in each image showing this issue.
  • I noticed this while editing the photos in my desktop computer, but I actually copied the images originally from the SD card to my laptop, and then copied them to the desktop via a external drive. I just checked the problematic images in the laptop and they suffer the same deffect. 
  • When selecting several images for edition in DPP, and using the arrow keys for navigating through them in the EDIT mode, the defect in the images only appears after few hundred milliseconds . It looks like at the beginning it is showing a blurry preview of the image and when the render finishes, it shows the corrupted pink area (I could try to record a video of my desktop if I did not explain properly this).

It is not an urgent matter, but I thought it was an interesting case to share with the community in order to learn if somebody else suffered this kind of issues.

@piponazo wrote:

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your prompt reply and sorry for skipping all these details. Please, find here some more details:

Camera: Canon 1200D.

Lens: Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM

Transfer mode: I extracted the card from the camera and used the Built-In card reader in the laptop.

DDP Version: 4.12.60.0

Sadly I do not keep the original version of the .CR2 file prior to the modifications I did with DPP (Lens corrections, gamma adjustments, etc). But I had uploaded the .CR2 problematic file to my personal GDrive account to share it here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11aqgIVl8mEjp_2uKJYvGejezhreD7gEn/view?usp=sharing

Some other interesting facts:

• When opening the image in the default "Photos" Windows 10 app, I do not see the pink rectangle.
  • During years I have been shooting directly in JPEG and I never observed this issue. I just noticed this recently when I started shooting in RAW and editing some images with DPP. 
  • The issue only happens in a small fractions of the images taken: 3-5% of the total.
  • The area of corruption is different in each image showing this issue.
  • I noticed this while editing the photos in my desktop computer, but I actually copied the images originally from the SD card to my laptop, and then copied them to the desktop via a external drive. I just checked the problematic images in the laptop and they suffer the same deffect. 
  • When selecting several images for edition in DPP, and using the arrow keys for navigating through them in the EDIT mode, the defect in the images only appears after few hundred milliseconds . It looks like at the beginning it is showing a blurry preview of the image and when the render finishes, it shows the corrupted pink area (I could try to record a video of my desktop if I did not explain properly this).

It is not an urgent matter, but I thought it was an interesting case to share with the community in order to learn if somebody else suffered this kind of issues.

Take some more photos and see if it happens again.  This time look at the images in the camera before you process them.  

I suspect that you could have a bad memory card.  Do you format your memory cards in the camera prior to first use?  What brand and model memory card are you currently using?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks @Waddizzle for your suggestion. I will do that experiment later today.

The memory card is a "Transcend sdhc 32gb class 10 300x 45MB/s". I honestly do not remember if I formated the card when I bought it, because this was approximatelly 6 years ago Robot Very Happy . But I normally just delete the photos from the SD card once I have copied them to one of my PCs. 

I'll try to take 100 pictures before formatting it and 100 more after formatting it.

@piponazo wrote:

Thanks @Waddizzle for your suggestion. I will do that experiment later today.

The memory card is a "Transcend sdhc 32gb class 10 300x 45MB/s". I honestly do not remember if I formated the card when I bought it, because this was approximatelly 6 years ago Robot Very Happy . But I normally just delete the photos from the SD card once I have copied them to one of my PCs. 

I'll try to take 100 pictures before formatting it and 100 more after formatting it.

There is no point in taking photos before you format the card.  While memory cards may seem to come pre-formatted, what you are really seeing is residue from production testing, which MUST be totally wiped away with a low level format.

Transcend is not a brand that I would buy.  The write speed is a little slow.  Make sure you only use full size, UHS-I, U3 SD cards.  The micro-SD cards that need adapters are very prone to failure.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Make sure you low level format, and not the normal fast one, the card, as Waddizzle wrote.

I downloaded your corrupted raw file. Do you want to keep the full size jpeg from it? Extract it with dcraw in CMD or Terminal.

dcraw -e IMG_0016.CR2

IMG_0016.thumb.jpg

Thanks @Peter for your suggestion. I did not know dcraw and it is quite useful!

Thanks to this software we can assert now that the image is corrupted:

D:\2020\08\Lavertezzo\Camera>dcraw -v IMG_0016.CR2
Loading Canon EOS 1200D image from IMG_0016.CR2 ...
IMG_0016.CR2: Corrupt data near 0x19000e2
Scaling with darkness 2046, saturation 14274, and
multipliers 2.500482 1.000000 1.401827 1.000000
AHD interpolation...
Converting to sRGB colorspace...
Writing data to IMG_0016.ppm ...

I did the experiment of taking around 100 images this evening with continous shooting while moving around the house and then I copied the RAW images to my desktop using a USB3-CardReader and none of the images were corrupted ... I also tried to apply several transformations to one of the images, copy the recipe and apply it to the rest of the images ... but all of them keep looking fine. 

At this point, I am not sure if the problem was due to corruption of the files when transfering them to the laptop or while processing them with DDP. In the case I discover new findings, I will come back here to share it with you guys.

Thanks for the help and the suggestions so far! ❤️

Announcements