cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the 2x Extender or 1.4x extender really worth it?

zuhura2
Apprentice

So I had recently bought a 2x extender and used it with my 70-200mm 2.8L III EF and i wasn’t impressed whatsoever. I shoot with a R6Markii and the quality of the photo was just as good as me shooting without it. After comparison, all I did was zoom in the photo in photoshop/lightroom without the e
xtender and to me the photos look the same in quality.
Is it just me or do you really need an extender if your camera already had a high megapixel count? Are extenders actually worth the buy? Did I do something wrong or am I just not seeing the big picture? (Pun intended)

1 REPLY 1

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

On a whole, TC's can extend reach, but this comes at the cost of IQ and AF performance.  I wouldn't have tried to extend an adapted EF mount to my R series camera.  You'd be better off buying a RF 100-400 in this case.  While the light gathering ability of the lens is less, the image quality would be identical using a native lens.  I have 2 TC's, a Sigma 1.4x for EF and a Canon 1.4x for RF.  Both are used infrequently.  I'd recommend a tripod and would not use unless I had to.  I view a TC as a "just in case" accessory.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements