cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External mic does not work with 5D iv

EngraciaGrace
Contributor

I have a surprising problem with my 5D Mark IV. When I connect an external microphone, it does not work ... still recording on an internal one? I have checked that the cables is working and the mic works also I have tested in a different devices and they work okey! I have clear all setting of my camera as factory and still is not working!

Is there any special setting in 5D MKIV to initiate the recording via external mic or there is simply something broken in my 5D ?

9 REPLIES 9

rs-eos
Elite

What specific microphone are you attempting to use?  Does it have its own power (e.g. AA batteries), or is it expected to obtain power from your camera?

Also, list out the audio settings that you've tried.  e.g. line level input.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

EngraciaGrace
Contributor

Microphone are the wireless RODE, It has the own built-in battery. 

I have set up the camera in manual sound recording and different level. But nothing seems to work. It seems that the camera doesn't recognise the mic. Also I have tried the Sound rec. in auto but it just keep recording the sound with the internal mic from the camera

Which specific RODE though? What's the model number?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Hi Elite,

Here is the model of my mic

This is the one:
RØDE Wireless GO

EngraciaGrace
Contributor

This is the one:
RØDE Wireless GO

RØDE Wireless GO
Tecnología de conectividad Bluetooth
Tipo de conector Jack 3.5 mm
Función especial Clip
Dispositivos compatibles Auricular
Componentes incluidos Petaca
Patrón de polaridad Omnidireccional

Walt_Felix
Enthusiast

I would first isolate if the issue with the Mic or the Camera.  I myself never had an issue plugging in a powered or non-powered mic in my 5DmkIV.  I would verify the Receiver is actually outputting audio for the camera to pick up.    Does the camera audio work correctly with another wired Mic?   

Walt Felix
https://linktr.ee/waltfelix

EOS 5D Mk IV, 90D, 400D

Hi Wat,  

I just need to check another mic and see if the camera plugging is damage! Because I've check the mic with other camera and it works. So I am guessing is the plugging or simply the rode is not compatible with this canon!

Thanks for your advice

If you confirmed the mic works on another camera, I would lean more towards the jack on the 5D IV.  The audio output from the Rode receiver should be standard.  Try another Mic first. 

Walt Felix
https://linktr.ee/waltfelix

EOS 5D Mk IV, 90D, 400D

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I can't offer you any specific advice but I got a request to shoot a video of a marching band festival. I bought this mic Movo VXR3031 Shotgun Microphone and it worked perfectly. I don't do videos and didn't know what I was doing. All I know is it worked and the video came out pretty nice. I was using my 1DX. Sorry I was of no help.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements