cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extension Tube EF 12 II Compatibility with EF Lenses and EF-EOS R Mount Adapter

Christopher53
Apprentice

Will the Canon EF 24-105mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM lens autofocus with the Canon EF12 II extender? How about with the EF 50mm f1.4 and EF 16-35mm f4L IS USM lens?

Will they autofocus with the Mount Adapter EF-EOS R?

Thanks, Chris

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

It may depend upon which specific camera body.

I do not see any reason why it should not work.  The macro extenders do not contain any active electronics.  You’re just going to wind up with an cumulative set of mount adapters and extensions that may not stay in perfect alignment.  Due to its own weight, it may begin to sag when held horizontally.  I would recommend only using such a configuration when the camera is pointed straight down at the subject.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks! I guess what I'm asking is will the EF12 II mounted to a Canon EF 24-105mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM lens on either an EOS 7D or EOS R still autofocus accurately or will I have to focus manually?

The EF12 contains contacts to allow the lens and camera to communicate.  So, you should be able to set the aperture and autofocus.

However, autofocusing may prove to be a little cantankerous, due to the higher resolution and control demands that will be placed on the AF motors.  You will most likely discover that your AF system will get it close, but you may still need to fine tune it manually.  Use of a tripod is highly recommended.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements