cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R7 Battery Grip Availability

haileybaker
Apprentice

Is there a battery grip I can use with an EOS R7? If there is, which one would work best?

10 REPLIES 10

rs-eos
Elite

No. Canon does not make a battery grip for the EOS R7.   In case there are third parties that do, I would avoid them as it may lead to issues.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

As my colleague Rick alluded to, Canon have seen fit not to include a battery grip with the R7.  Yes, there are 3rd party units available on places like Amazon or eBay, but you may void your warranty in using them. 
Another issue is that while the third-party grips will allow a second battery, the portrait controls don't function without the (provided) cable to go from the grip to the remote cable release port on the side of the camera body.  This is clumsy and also violates what weather sealing the R7 has.   This type of arrangement is shown in the enclosed image (although not specific to the R7).

Tronhard_0-1700592661921.jpeg

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

We'd like to clarify that while we're unable to ensure that a third-party product would work with a Canon camera, the Canon USA warranty would not be voided.  Should the camera need to be serviced, our technicians would determine whether the warranty would cover that specific instance.  Regardless of their determination, however, the warranty would keep going through to its expiration.

Hope this information helps!

Thanks Danny.  That's why I included the "may", and I appreciate the clarification and confirmation that the warranty is still valid!

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

What you say is true. But I can only get 3 fingers on the camera grip, and I want to pair it with my rf 100-500 that makes handling difficult. 

@colinlewis wrote:

What you say is true. But I can only get 3 fingers on the camera grip, and I want to pair it with my rf 100-500 that makes handling difficult. 

Forget about it.  I do not know why Canon did not release a grip for this body, and they probably never will.  They have never released a grip well after a camera’s initial release.

Beware of third party grips.  Because Canon did not release a battery grip, then it is a safe bet that the camera firmware does not know how to use one.  Cameras alternate using the two batteries, so that power for each battery drains at about the same rate.  The R7 knows nothing about how to do that.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I've seen a film on YouTube where someone has converted a 30D grip that fits very well. I have an old 20d canon grip which should fit, all I want is a bigger body, so I can get by without any controls. It will also act as a spare battery store, also add weight to balance the camera/lense. I know it will be a bit of a faff changing the battery, but I don't think I will have to do that on a shoot as its a second  camera. I'm going to order an r7 tomorrow. I hope this may help others will a similar problem. 

Beware of jury-rigged add-ons.  If you connect something to the camera, clearly not intended for use with it, then you can void your warranty.   

cheers, TREVOR

You have been warned. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements