cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF-RF Lens Mount Adapter versus Control Ring Lens Mount Adapter

LoveWeims
Enthusiast

I purchased a Canon EOS R7 mirrorless camera but still own and love the Canon EOS 20D,  The 20D has a nice 18-55mm EF-S f3.5-5.6 lens on it that I want to use on the R7 also.  I always liked that lens, and I don’t see an equivalent RF lens and even if I did, I would prefer to use the lens I own anyway.

So a mount adapter seems to be the right solution, but now I am confronted with a choice.  The product called simply a “lens mount adapter” is $129.99 at Best Buy and then there is the product called “Control Ring Lens Mount Adapter” for $199.99 at Best Buy.  Currently, I only have the ONE  EF-S lens.  I am a life-long photographer but only recently (since retirement) have I had the time  to delve into this kind of photography.  My goal is not to go the cheap route just because I don’t know what I don’t know at this point in my journey, but I also don’t want to buy something that won’t grow with my increasing knowledge and hopefully, expertise,

Not to mention I’m disappointed with the pricing of RF lenses…

So, is the more expensive option the better purchase for someone who wants equipment that is ready for someone who might still have to learn how much she really needs it?   

10 REPLIES 10

Trevor

WOW!  Looked at the gallery and your photos are wonderful!  Thanks for helping me take the time to discover that forum.  One day I'll post some photos...Forrest is helping me practice photoging dog sports - I am trying to capture him catching a frisbee (which includes the variable of the unpredicatability of the frisbee NOT present in photographing dog agility where the map tells you the dog route).  For frisbeen play, using the viewfinder is hard - I am going to switch to trying to use the LCD on the camera.  Might work better as I can use my peripheral vision.  Likely will have to find a more accurate frisbee tosser however!

Interestingly, I DID look at the R6 and R6 Mark II but my friend (who publishes her photos) uses and recommended the R7.  I believe it is also a less expensive body... So NOW I know what at least ONE difference is between that sort of mirrorless and what I currently own.  The pricing on those bodies is equivalent to the RF200-800mm lens she also recommended IF I could fine one (and I have, but just today actually) so I may stray from my resolution to NOT buy another lens yet (haha, won't be the first time I changed my mind).  Anyway, since I am still not proficient on the R7, better to put my $$ into a lens that is hard to find that I very likely will use down by the water especially.  We have herds of deer on our property too, so they will appreciate the additional distance that lens will provide.  Low light might still be a problem tho with those deer, but I will never be able to afford a pro version of this lens (even refurbished).

More clarification (as I also now understand there is a difference between RF and RF-S lenses)....my kit lens (18-150mm) is the only one of the 3 that is an RF-S.  I do not mind having to stay farther away from my bugs and reptiles (found in the wild in abundance here)  with my RF-100mm L.  That lens purchase was thoroughly researched as I had been using my iPhone 14 pro and getting satisfactory photos (FB friends like them alot).

If I buy the RF 200-800mm, I do have questions but I'll start another discussion.  And I agree - have had an extender with my 35mm Konica and didn't like using it or the results.

Later!  Gail

Announcements