cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon r6 mkii Battery Grip

gillmardesigns
Contributor

Which battery grip is recommended for this model?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The BG-R10

Battery Grip BG-R10 (canon.com)

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

JoeySnaps
Enthusiast

The battery grip BG-R10 uses the same battery as the camera itself, but two of them. The battery is LP-E6NH, it will also accept earlier versions of the same size battery: LP-E6N and LP-E6. The more recent versions have slightly higher capacity so will be preferable although they're relatively pricey.

Some use third party batteries but Canon have been very much against this, warning of all sorts of problems with these, from lower capacity, shorter useful life, spontaneous combustion (!). Despite this, it's tempting to use them since they're so much cheaper. If you do try a third party battery I would suggest choosing a known, reputable manufacturer from a reliable source who will honour a warranty if it fails.

The only third party battery I have ever tried is the Hahnel Extreme HLX-E6NH battery, which I was given as a freebie by my dealer when I bought my EOS R6mkII. I've used it but haven't yet formed any conclusions regarding its capacity.

The EOS R6mkII consumes power even when it's switched off if Bluetooth is enabled. I haven't tried it yet but there might be less current drain if I put the camera into 'airplane' mode.

R6mkII, various lenses, speedlites. Also legacy Canons going back to T90 and even A1.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The BG-R10

Battery Grip BG-R10 (canon.com)

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you @shadowsports 

Another question. What Rechargeable Lithium-ion Batteries should I get to use in this grip?

JoeySnaps
Enthusiast

The battery grip BG-R10 uses the same battery as the camera itself, but two of them. The battery is LP-E6NH, it will also accept earlier versions of the same size battery: LP-E6N and LP-E6. The more recent versions have slightly higher capacity so will be preferable although they're relatively pricey.

Some use third party batteries but Canon have been very much against this, warning of all sorts of problems with these, from lower capacity, shorter useful life, spontaneous combustion (!). Despite this, it's tempting to use them since they're so much cheaper. If you do try a third party battery I would suggest choosing a known, reputable manufacturer from a reliable source who will honour a warranty if it fails.

The only third party battery I have ever tried is the Hahnel Extreme HLX-E6NH battery, which I was given as a freebie by my dealer when I bought my EOS R6mkII. I've used it but haven't yet formed any conclusions regarding its capacity.

The EOS R6mkII consumes power even when it's switched off if Bluetooth is enabled. I haven't tried it yet but there might be less current drain if I put the camera into 'airplane' mode.

R6mkII, various lenses, speedlites. Also legacy Canons going back to T90 and even A1.

Ok. Thank you so much for this information @ JoeySnaps. Really appreciate it.

Announcements