cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arca Swiss compatible foot for RF 24-105mm f2.8 Z

JoeDavid
Enthusiast

It appears to be too early since the lens is only out in limited quantities but I have the new RF 24-105mm f2.8 Z lens and am looking for a replacement foot that is Arca Swiss compatible.  It is ridiculous to have to add a plate to a lens tripod collar foot to get that compatibility when it could easily be incorporated into the collar foot's design.  Fortunately, for the 24-105, that foot can be removed.  I'm sure the intent is to remove it when you don't need it but it opens up the possibility of a replacement foot.  I'd buy it from Canon if they offered it as an optional accessory.  The collar itself isn't removable so it must be a replacement foot.  If anyone comes across one, please post a reply to this thread.  I expect there to be one eventually; i.e., like the third party replacement collars that are available for the RF 100-500mm lens.  Again, Canon if you're listening, you're missing an opportunity to sell an accessory!  I'm not the only person out there that uses Arca Swiss quick release plates...

Currenly using R5 and R7 mostly plus a variety of Canon RF and EF lens...
8 REPLIES 8

JoeDavid
Enthusiast

not sure how this post ended up in Software, I selected RF lenses...

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Not everyone wants or needs an Arca-Swiss fitting on the tripod foot.  Including itwould probably some add some type licensing cost to the overall cost of the camera.  Besides, many people remove the tripod collar on a lens this size, anyway.  You have an option.  

“As always, options are good.”, Emgo316

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

JoeDavid
Enthusiast

There’s no option at all on the new RF 200-800mm lens.  You can’t remove the collar or the foot.  As for the 24-105, I’d be willing to buy it as an optional, replacement foot.  It is a $3000 lens after all.  I don’t the licensing, if any, would factor into the cost.  You cannot remove the collar only the foot on that lens and your left with an odd hump on the collar with it removed.  

“ You cannot remove the collar only the foot on that lens and your left with an odd hump on the collar with it removed. “

So what.  The design is not unique to that one lens.  The EF 100-400mm f/4-5.6L IS USM also has a collar that cannot be removed.  The foot can be removed and replaced, which I have done with a Kirk foot.

I believe the collar of the RF lenses have “stops” every 90 degrees so that you can rotate and align it accurately.. So it is probably a good thing that the collar does not come off.  

If the “bump” that is left behind when you remove the tripod foot is in your way, then rotate the tripod collar 180 to the top of the lens.  Problem solved.  I do this a lot.  It makes a great carrying handle for the camera/lens combo.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Its too early at this point to hope for a replaceable arca foot.  I posted about it previously when the lens was announced.  Maybe someone like kirk will produce one. 

24-105 Z24-105 Z

Nothing wrong with adding a lens plate in my book.  I've got them on my 70-200 and 100-500 now.  Great carry handles they are 🙂    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

JoeDavid
Enthusiast

I have a gimbal head that I use and it came with an Arca Swiss plate.  I use that plate on the 100-500.  It works fine but I don’t use the lens all of the time and put it back in the Canon supplied lens pouch when I’m not using it.  It can be a challenge to get the pouch to zip closed over the collar with the plate attached.  I’ve been looking at a third party replacement collar with Arca Swiss compatibility built in for that lens. 🤷🏻‍♂️

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I understand, I figured you had a particular reason for it.  I only have one gimbal and it's a twist lock.  My brothers keep laughing at me because I haven't bought a quick release yet.  Give it some time. You may be surprised.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Every lens with a tripod foot that I own has its own Arca-Swiss mounting plate.  

click here to view the gallery
Announcements