cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HF G50 Vixia 4K video and other mode issues

t_dhawkins
Contributor

I'm not sure about my recently aquired HF G50. I am having trouble with 4K video and some of the programmed settings. 

4K recording is very stuttery as is the low lite and nite settings in HD/manual mode. I'm thinking its something to do with the write to the SD card speed but I think I have fast enough cards 128gb/170mb/s class 10 sandisk. I tried it in dual record and relay modes...same thing happens.....stuttery or buffering bahaviour. Wondering if I missed something in setup.... any suggestions out there? Thanks in advance 

ps/ I think the HD high frame rate recordings are just fine but so far I spent more time trying to figure out the disappointing 4k to log enough HD time to review completely

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I have my own update. I finally got around to using my new Canon Vixia G60. Shot over an hour's worth of 4k and 2k videos at a very busy street corner. Shot all handheld footage of tons of people walking, many cars, busses, bicyclists and others whizzing by me. My G60 performed beautifully. I am very amazing on the image quality and seeing such sharp details even when zoomed out to maximum to the other side of the street. Image stabilization is quite good shooting handheld, even at maximum focal length. I can clearly read license plate of vehicles from other side of the street. Camera has great face tracking while people were walking towards me. There was absolutely no stuttering or buffering issues whatsoever. I'm using Sandisk 128gb Extreme Pro 170MB/s SD cards in relay mode (x2 cards). So that's my short summary. Although this is my first "real" camcorder, I'm very impressed with its quality. I'm used to shooting with my Canon EOS 90D DSLR with a Canon 24-105mm f4 L I.S. USM version 2 lens, plus a Canon 17-55 f2.8 I.S. USM lens, plus a Canon 100mm f2.8 L Macro lens. Plus a Canon M50 mirrorless for my sidekick camera. So I'm used to Canon DSLR shooting, but I'm new to shooting with a Canon camcorder, which is a learning curve for me. Anyway, good luck on your repairs, hope you get your camcorder fixed.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

The SanDisk SDXC cards rated at U3 Class 10 are ample for this camcorder.  I'm using both the older 95 MB/s cards as well as newer 170 MB/s ones.  Note that those are the typical read speeds; write speeds are a bit slower.  However, these ratings are in mega _bytes_ per second and not megabits.   Note that the bit-rate for 4K in the G50 is 150 Mb/s.  So divide by 8 to get MB/s which is around 19 MB/s (far below the card's write speed; even at sustained writes).

Be sure to fully format the cards in-between major recording sessions.  Cards that become fragmented can slow down.

When you mention that the 4K video is very stuttery, what was the frame rate?  Also, what stabilization mode were you using? Note that if you have stabilization mode on while also using a tripod, that can lead to issues.

When playing the video back, what is the refresh rate of your display?  I record in 23.976p and use displays with proper pulldown.  Sometimes if using the wrong settings in post, you can end up with jitter as well.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

i bought a g50 for videoing R/C planes. i am very disappointed in the pixilation and the stuttering . i had an old sony 1080i camera that was better than this camera. doesn't sound like there's any fix to it. i'm referring to recording in 4k . Memory care is what's supposed to be in it . a real let down. canon should make it right . i've used this camera only about 5x's . i bought it because i had such great luck with my T5i . 

Scoots
Apprentice

This thread is sad. The "solution" is to buy a G60 and get rid of your G50.

Announcements