cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G70 shimmer / jitter problem.

CaptHaywire
Apprentice

I am experiencing trouble with a shimmer or constantly moving background on my G70 camera. This issue persists even at lower zoom settings and moderate temperatures around 75°. I have encountered this problem while using Program AE and Shutter Priority AE modes with higher shutter speeds. Even the subject I'm capturing appears wavy. I have attempted to use manual focus, but it has not resolved the issue.

Interestingly, I never encountered this problem with my Canon 80D camera, despite capturing images of similar size. I am recording footage of rockets launching in a grass field with woods in the distant background, and I cannot physically get any closer to the subject.

Is there any way to minimize or eliminate this jitter? I have mounted the camera on a sturdy Bogen Manfrotto tripod.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rs-eos
Elite

I think this is mostly due to heat distortion? Which would become more prevalent when at the most telephoto end of the lens.

I'm not sure though what can be done in this scenario.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

rs-eos
Elite

Can you provide some sample footagae somewhere so folks can take a look?  It's very difficult to understand what the issue is.

--
Ricky

CaptHaywire
Apprentice

MS OneDrive link, https://1drv.ms/v/s!AolWkcW-OaiWvy1Dx-Pq6xBrqZzT?e=kT0PZq 

Thanks for taking a look!

rs-eos
Elite

I think this is mostly due to heat distortion? Which would become more prevalent when at the most telephoto end of the lens.

I'm not sure though what can be done in this scenario.

--
Ricky

I am no expert here but it seems like there is more going on than just heat distortion. It looks like an interaction with the sensor, IDK. I will try another test in cooler weather.

Thanks for taking a look.

Announcements