cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon HV10 transfer to PC

alexnat4
Apprentice

Hi, has anyone done this and succeeded on a Windows 10 PC? So the HV10 uses Mini DV tapes.

I would like to do this via digital transfer. I've bought 2 PCI firewire cards now, and 2 different cables, but not having much luck. I'm using a cable to connect the HDV/DV port on the front of the camcorder to a Firewire 400 port on the PC, which I've added via a Firewire PCI card.

I've tried 2 firewire cards, a TI chipset one, which Windows 10 recognises in the IEEE1394 section of Device Manager, and a Via chipset based firewire card which isn't recognised. For the TI chipset one, if I plug the cable in, and put the camcorder into Play mode, nothing happens on the PC. Eg. I would expect it to show up as an imaging device in Device Manager, of for HDV Split to say something other than 'camcorder is not recognised or connected'.

Has anyone succeeded in doing this? And if so, could you point me to the hardware/software you used? 

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

I only ever used Macintosh computers with built-in FireWire to injest miniDV footage.  At the time, I mostly used iMovie to perform the actual injest process.

What software are you using?  You may need to trigger a record process in that software and then press play on your camcorder.   Unless the software can trigger the play itself.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Apprentice

I am also stuck with an HV-10 I used only for a year, when I upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 was the end of the story as Windows 7+10 wouldn't see it all, I think Canon should have done better knowing Windows 7 and later  couldn't see, I feel robbed. The camera is very well built and would hate to sell it on eBay  

Well ...Thnx Canon

alexnat4
Apprentice

Hey all, just thought I'd update this thread. I got this to work. So what I bought was a Firewire DV to Firewire 800 PCIe card and installed it on a Windows 11 machine, and it worked, using a Firewire DV to Firewire 800 cable. I'm able to transfer footage using HDVSplit and generally it works pretty well. It creates ".m2t" files, which can then be converted via any other video software to mp4. Be wary of the bit rate you need to set when converting to mp4 to make sure you get same quality output file. I used video bit rate of 25000kbps.

This is the card I bought on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B004QY7M3Y?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Cable:

https://www.cablechick.com.au/cables/15m-firewire-1394-cable-4p-to-9p-firewire-400-ilink.html

Apprentice

Thanks alot alexnat4 for updating, tbh didn't expect much after years of searching I was thinking to sacrifice it on eBay for peanuts and it's still in mint condition with the original box and everything-had 3 batteries too/probably dead by now but anyway your post made me believe again.

Found the Vantec 2+1 exactly the same on the European amazon, I think I still have couple of standard 1394 cables from the card I still have on my old Windows 10 machine.

This is what I had installed, how can I test it if they did a good job? Is this what I got any good? I'm not super technical but I can try.

Again thnaks very much!

f7b99633c91c7fac076353b945bba645.pngb78a4d62bcaad6c643bc77df3f4d47a6.png

Apprentice

PS. Noticed it says only for up to Vista in other words I'll have to get the Vantec, did you mount the card yourself or had the technician do it? I'm going away soon for a month so I'll do it in October, will keep you posted, I still can't believe it 🙂

Announcements