cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF 100-400 solar filter recommendations

marylou1660
Contributor

I am trying to find out which solar filter to buy that will screw onto the RF 100-400 IS USM lens

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

Greetings marylou1660,

Though Canon USA is unable to provide recommendations for solar lens filters due to them not being manufactured or tested by Canon USA, we can provide you with some basic information regarding the handling of the lens and camera.

• Do not leave the camera in excessive heat, such as in a car in direct sunlight. High temperatures can cause the camera to malfunction.
  • If there is a bright light source inside or outside the image area, ghosting may occur.
  • When shooting with backlighting, keep the sun sufficiently away from the angle of view. Always keep intense light sources such as the sun, lasers, and other intense artificial light sources out of the image area and not near it. Concentrated intense light may cause smoke or damage the image sensor or other internal components.
  • Attach the lens cap to prevent direct sunlight and other light from entering the lens when you are not shooting.

View solution in original post

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Your lens takes a 67mm filter.  B&H has a good selection of solar filters.  You can also buy mylar filters.  These mount a bit differently.  Do not point your camera directly at the sun without a solar or protective filter installed.

Please also see this thread from @kvbarkley about filming an eclipse:

Getting prepared for the eclipse - Canon Community

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

Greetings marylou1660,

Though Canon USA is unable to provide recommendations for solar lens filters due to them not being manufactured or tested by Canon USA, we can provide you with some basic information regarding the handling of the lens and camera.

• Do not leave the camera in excessive heat, such as in a car in direct sunlight. High temperatures can cause the camera to malfunction.
  • If there is a bright light source inside or outside the image area, ghosting may occur.
  • When shooting with backlighting, keep the sun sufficiently away from the angle of view. Always keep intense light sources such as the sun, lasers, and other intense artificial light sources out of the image area and not near it. Concentrated intense light may cause smoke or damage the image sensor or other internal components.
  • Attach the lens cap to prevent direct sunlight and other light from entering the lens when you are not shooting.

Can you tell me if the Canon new drop-in variable ND filter A, black, full-size (3446C001) will do the job?

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Your lens takes a 67mm filter.  B&H has a good selection of solar filters.  You can also buy mylar filters.  These mount a bit differently.  Do not point your camera directly at the sun without a solar or protective filter installed.

Please also see this thread from @kvbarkley about filming an eclipse:

Getting prepared for the eclipse - Canon Community

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

marylou1660
Contributor

I posted a question about solar filter for my EOS R6. I found a great screw on filter on Amazon

What no link to the filter? I am looking on Amazon now for a filter other than my Drop-in variable ND Filter A, Black, full-size.

Announcements