cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleaning kit recommendations

thetoxicmud
Contributor

Can someone recommend me some cleaning kit for both lenses and sensor? 

I have found that on amazon with good reviews, cheaper than most shops have to offer so I’m but cautious before I apply something on sensor 

1.JPG

my rf 35mm 1.8 macro lens just came after opening cover I can see some white dust/debris in two places, is regular  lens microfibre cloth for glasses safe to use ?

[Commercial link removed per Community guidelines and replaced with screenshot to serve as visual aid.]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

My cleaning kit contains:

1) A large Giottos Rocket air blower - This usually gets rid of any dust/lint/debris and 8 of 10 times is all that's needed. It is important to note that this blower has a filter, so it doesn't suck in dust. I use this on almost every lens change.

2) A quality sensor brush - Despite what it's called, you can also use it on your lenses, particularly the camera end. Do not get one that has a built-in blower but one that has a handle. These brushes require maintenance from time to time as dust/debris collects in the bristles. I clean mine about every 3-4 uses. These brushes have a static charge that attracts dust and to "recharge" them you have to lightly tap the handle on your finger which causes the bristles to rub together and recharges them. To clean them, I use a drop of baby shampoo in distilled water to clean, then rinse a few times in distilled water, then tap it dry and get the rest with a dry PEC-PAD. I keep it stored in the plastic case it came in. I only use it if the Rocket doesn't work.

3) Sensor swabs - These are the blue sticks you referred to in the kit. They are usually a triangular shaped paddle on the end of a plastic handle. They will come in several sizes, but I have them in sizes for my APS-C crop sensor and full frame sensor. These normally come dry and sealed individually, hopefully in sterile lab grade aluminum packets. You can apply liquid cleaner, which I also have, but I've never had to use it and the dry sensor swabs have always removed any really stubborn debris. These are a one and done product and I don't recommend reusing them, although you can wrap them with a PEC-PAD in a pinch. I seldom have to use these, maybe three times in the last 10 years, twice in "coal country" and the other I suspect was some camera lube in my 7D II that somehow got on my sensor.

4) Lens Wipes and PEC-PAD's. Both usually come in packs, are lent free, and supposed to be nonabrasive, so they won't scratch or harm lens coatings. I don't use them on my actual lens surface. All of my lenses have protector filters so when they get stuff on them, I just use a lens wipe (Zeiss) then the PEC-PAD to clean up any residue. I wear glasses, so I always have lens wipes with me.

I have a lens pen, but it is still in the package. Lots of people swear by them, but I just could never bring myself to use one because they contain abrasives. It just doesn't sound like a good idea, and frankly, I'm not sure why I even have one, LOL! I also have a sensor loupe, which is fun to look through, but I only seriously used it once to find all the grease that was on my 7D2 sensor. That one's still a mystery 🙂

Newton

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

That kit looks fine except for the tweezers.  I can't think of a place where using a pointed metal object inside or outside a camera or lens would be good.  Hair would blow away.  At least that's what I'd try if I had to.

For sensors, lab grade, clean room sealed or similar swabs.  Don't drip cleaning fluid into the body.  Use something brand name and be very careful.   For sensor cleaning I might opt for a Canon inspection / service.  Its not that it can't be done DIY, but having a camera inspected and cleaned once or twice during its life is not a bad thing.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you 

on other screen pictures they show sensor being cleaned with that blue stick, however it’s called. I’m not planning on regularly touching and cleaning the sensor, like you said that is worth paying canon to do that but I’m thinking of simple situation where some debris gets stuck on sensor ,people won’t run to canon service with each hair there, I guess . 

something brand name? Can give example please?

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

My cleaning kit contains:

1) A large Giottos Rocket air blower - This usually gets rid of any dust/lint/debris and 8 of 10 times is all that's needed. It is important to note that this blower has a filter, so it doesn't suck in dust. I use this on almost every lens change.

2) A quality sensor brush - Despite what it's called, you can also use it on your lenses, particularly the camera end. Do not get one that has a built-in blower but one that has a handle. These brushes require maintenance from time to time as dust/debris collects in the bristles. I clean mine about every 3-4 uses. These brushes have a static charge that attracts dust and to "recharge" them you have to lightly tap the handle on your finger which causes the bristles to rub together and recharges them. To clean them, I use a drop of baby shampoo in distilled water to clean, then rinse a few times in distilled water, then tap it dry and get the rest with a dry PEC-PAD. I keep it stored in the plastic case it came in. I only use it if the Rocket doesn't work.

3) Sensor swabs - These are the blue sticks you referred to in the kit. They are usually a triangular shaped paddle on the end of a plastic handle. They will come in several sizes, but I have them in sizes for my APS-C crop sensor and full frame sensor. These normally come dry and sealed individually, hopefully in sterile lab grade aluminum packets. You can apply liquid cleaner, which I also have, but I've never had to use it and the dry sensor swabs have always removed any really stubborn debris. These are a one and done product and I don't recommend reusing them, although you can wrap them with a PEC-PAD in a pinch. I seldom have to use these, maybe three times in the last 10 years, twice in "coal country" and the other I suspect was some camera lube in my 7D II that somehow got on my sensor.

4) Lens Wipes and PEC-PAD's. Both usually come in packs, are lent free, and supposed to be nonabrasive, so they won't scratch or harm lens coatings. I don't use them on my actual lens surface. All of my lenses have protector filters so when they get stuff on them, I just use a lens wipe (Zeiss) then the PEC-PAD to clean up any residue. I wear glasses, so I always have lens wipes with me.

I have a lens pen, but it is still in the package. Lots of people swear by them, but I just could never bring myself to use one because they contain abrasives. It just doesn't sound like a good idea, and frankly, I'm not sure why I even have one, LOL! I also have a sensor loupe, which is fun to look through, but I only seriously used it once to find all the grease that was on my 7D2 sensor. That one's still a mystery 🙂

Newton

Announcements