cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon LP-E6N, LP-E6NH battery question

Mike5d4
Apprentice

Hello. I have both the LP-E6N and NH batteries used in my 5D4. Also have the older BP-511 used in my original 5D. How often should unused batteries be charged? I had fully charged the LP-6EN and LP-6NH about 1-2 months ago. When I recently checked both batteries they both needed a charge, to bring them up to full. The LP-6EN took a long time. Something appears to be very different in the battery chemistry from the older 511 to the newer ones. I rarely need to charge the older batteries, and they hold their charge if charged halfway or fully. Not the same with the LP-6EN or NH. I know the 5D4 uses more current, that's not the problem, which is why don't the newer batteries hold their charge if not used. Both batteries in question were not left in the camera. I did the battery test in camera that tells you the condition of the battery (life left). The LP-6EN showed 4 out of 5 bars, the NH showed all five bars. I rarely use the camera, and usually leave the batteries half to 3/4 charged out of camera. Any comments are greatly appreciated!

-Mike

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Basic battery recommendations.  Don't store your body with battery installed.  Batteries should be stored with a 50% charge.  I rotate mine every 6 months or so.  I might throw it on charge for an hour if its sat for a long while without use (extended storage).  I label every battery with blue tape and a number.  I know when a battery was purchased, etc.  Batteries can be registered to a body, but I've never bothered.  If I noticed lowered performance after 2-3 full charge / discharge cycles, I recycle and rotate another member into the mix.  Tear a tiny piece off 1,2,3,4,5.  Or whatever works for you.   

shadowsports_0-1688494191406.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

If you let the LP-E6 batteries drop too low, then the charger will NOT attempt to charge them so as Rick stated store them removed from the camera body and if they sit unused for more than a couple of months, give them a small charge.

I have used Canon cameras for years and I never had an issue with battery pack failures until the LP-E6 series.  They are far pickier than the packs for my 1 series bodies.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

normadel
Authority
Authority

Good question. I look forward to knowledgeable answers. I've wondered myself how long I should expect batteries to hold their charge outside of camera. I have bunch of used 511s with no idea how old they are and what shape they are in.  Same with LP-E6es of various ages.

I've never had any issues with the 511 series batteries. They hold their charge for a very long time. I've also gotten 10 years of service from them. They charge quickly too. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Basic battery recommendations.  Don't store your body with battery installed.  Batteries should be stored with a 50% charge.  I rotate mine every 6 months or so.  I might throw it on charge for an hour if its sat for a long while without use (extended storage).  I label every battery with blue tape and a number.  I know when a battery was purchased, etc.  Batteries can be registered to a body, but I've never bothered.  If I noticed lowered performance after 2-3 full charge / discharge cycles, I recycle and rotate another member into the mix.  Tear a tiny piece off 1,2,3,4,5.  Or whatever works for you.   

shadowsports_0-1688494191406.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

If you let the LP-E6 batteries drop too low, then the charger will NOT attempt to charge them so as Rick stated store them removed from the camera body and if they sit unused for more than a couple of months, give them a small charge.

I have used Canon cameras for years and I never had an issue with battery pack failures until the LP-E6 series.  They are far pickier than the packs for my 1 series bodies.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

I totally agree they are picky. I think they must have changed the battery chemistry somehow. Thanks for everyone's replies!

Announcements