cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 50mm f/1.8 - Are these Lines normal on lens?

GalletaBoss
Apprentice

IMG_4010.jpeg

IMG_4011.jpeg

I’m new to this world of photography and recently purchased a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 and noticed this lines on the lens, did I received a defective lens? 

12 REPLIES 12

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

That's an odd place to see markings like that. A new lens wouldn't come with marks.  While it may not have any effect on the optical quality, I don't know If I'd keep something I purchased with marks like that.  Primality because it might be an indicator of how the lens was cared for previously.  It not an expensive lens, but no one wants a lens that has been mis-handled.  The lens also looks dirty, so I assume it's a used lens, and not new.  If you are going to buy used, I suggest you do so from KEH, Adorama or B&H.  Here you will get a fair market assessment, quality gear and a warranty.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I’ve purchased it new through Amazon.

I was doing a little research and found this YouTube Short and apparently those markings may be normal? Here is the link of the short, because compression maybe wouldn’t let you see the details: https://youtube.com/shorts/_ghPH482X1c?si=O1EL_RsQ2EzaH81r

IMG_4012.png

I think the lines are normal, and you have nothing to worry about.

I had a look at some of these lenses on ebay, and many of them have the same lines. My lens doesn’t have the lines, but it must have been a Canon production change, because many EF 50mm 1.8 STM lenses have the exact same lines. 

In this particular lens you can see four marks……

IMG_3135.jpeg

Mike Sowsun

"If you are going to buy used, I suggest you do so from KEH, Adorama or B&H."

Great places for used gear, indeed!  I have used two of the three of these places many times over the years, and have been happy with my purchases.  

In addition, many local brick and mortar camera shops buy and sell used gear.  They know they are playing against these three giants for used gear, so they thoroughly check out used gear before buying and reselling. I've found local shops often give you a slightly better price, especially if you can tell them "B&H has this same lens right now for $xxx" - which of course they look up to verify before cutting you a better deal.  Besides, it's nice supporting local businesses.  

Gary

Digital: Canon R6 Mk ll, R8, RP, 60D, various RF, EF, and Rokinon lenses
Film: (still using) Pentax Spotmatic, Pentax K1000, Pentax K2000, Miranda DR, Zenit 12XP, Kodak Retina Automatic II, Kodak Duaflex III, and various lenses

Stephen

My lens is dirty, so don't crucify me for that, but I don't see the lines you see on mine:

Stephen_0-1713853554277.jpeg

@Stephen wrote:

My lens is dirty, so don't crucify me for that, but I don't see the lines you see on mine:

I can see at least one similar line on your lens….

IMG_3137.jpeg

Mike Sowsun

@MikeSowsun wrote:

I can see at least one similar line on your lens….

Mine has just one, but it's barely perceptible, in fact, I had to take it out in the sun and slowly rotate it to catch it. Almost looks like a seam from the molding process or a tool mark from assembly, but that is just the impression I get.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Hi Newton. Mould marks was also my thought after multiple lenses were being reported. I checked Canon's description and the Canon Lens Museum. No mention of moulded elements; none of the elements are reported to be aspherical. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

When I look at the left side one it almost looks like a crack in the glass. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements