cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from EOS Rebel T5i

AndrzejT
Contributor

wanting to upgrade  from a T5I, have three EF-S Lenses 18-55, 55-250 and a EF-S 17-55 f/2.8, have  ef Lenses 50mm, 85mm and a 100-400.am looking to improve quality of EF lenses, possibly going to a D6 Mark ll, and purchasing a T8i, when on sale, as a secondary camera for use of the EF-s lenses,  curious of better picture quality of the D6 Markll or just going to one R8 camera body?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@AndrzejT wrote:

what i guess i am really looking for is information on is the D6 Mark ll going to give me better picture resolution than a R7 with the EF-R Adaptor? Trying to get the most out of the EF lenses., if the D6 ll is of better quality, i would than just purchase aT8i for the EF-S lenses.{Secondary Camera, so to speak}

AndrzejT,

You might benefit by reading a few articles on APS- C vs. full-frame cameras.

Amateur Photographer has some, like here:

aps-c vs. full-frame 

It gives you the advantages and disadvantages of both.

Steve Thomas

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Andrzej,

Are you talking about the 6D or the R6?

The R6 line is a mirrorless camera, and you'll either have to buy RF lenses, or an adapter that will let you use your EF and E-S lenses on that camera.

I have a T8i and like it very much.

Steve Thomas

what i guess i am really looking for is information on is the D6 Mark ll going to give me better picture resolution than a R7 with the EF-R Adaptor? Trying to get the most out of the EF lenses., if the D6 ll is of better quality, i would than just purchase aT8i for the EF-S lenses.{Secondary Camera, so to speak}

@AndrzejT wrote:

AndrzejT,

You might benefit by reading a few articles on APS- C vs. full-frame cameras.

Amateur Photographer has some, like here:

aps-c vs. full-frame 

It gives you the advantages and disadvantages of both.

Steve Thomas

Thank you for the site info, read it and helped tremendously, have read others but not to the degree of this one.

Plan on purchasing  the T8i as a backup and for use with my Canon EF-S 17-55 mm f/2.8 lens. I'm sure I'll like and enjoy it's usefulness.

AndrzejT
Contributor

Looking at the D6 Mark ll strictly for the use of EF lenses, have the T5i which i plan on updating to a T8i if need be

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:
First off, without a budget we may well offer you suggestions you cannot afford, or fail to suggest options you can afford that would suit you better.  So a budget VALUE would be helpful.
Your equipment identifications are confusing.  Canon do not make cameras that start with a D - those are from Nikon. Canon lenses are identified with a Rebel #t, or##D, or #D - where the # is a digit.

Your EF-S lenses are limited to use on crop-sensor APS-C camera bodies, so they will not work on a 6DMkII, but your EF lenses will, so you need to clarify what lenses you want to keep, given that the EF-S17-55 and EF-S 55-250 are actually quite good lenses.
All R-series bodies can work with EF lenses via the Canon EF-RF adapter. 
These include the EOS R5, R6, R8, RP and R. 

However, while EF-S lenses will physically fit on those bodies, their sensor capacity is reduced by a factor for 2.5 from that advertised for the camera, because the EF-S lenses project a narrower cone of light designed for the APS-C camera, that is much smaller than the FF sensor.   So, the R8 you mention would have its sensor capacity reduced from 24MP to just under 10MP.

EF-S lenses will work via the EF-RF adapter with the following bodies with no issues:
R7, R10, R50, R100, which are all APS-C sensor cameras (just like your T5i). 

So, if you can get back to us with a budget, whether you want to keep your EF-S lenses (which suggest going to an APS-C body), or will relinquish your EF-S lenses to be able to go Full Frame.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

AndrzejT
Contributor

Thank you, think I'll be going with a 6D Mark ll, for use of my EF Lenses , and purchase, when on sale, a T8i, as a secondary camera, using my EF-S lenses.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements