cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility 2 Not working on M1 Macbook Pro

Legonatic
Apprentice

Hi,

I have a Canon EOS Rebel T5 and have used the EOS Utility 2 in the past on my Windows 10 desktop. I downloaded the software years ago, but recently got a Mac and wanted to use the software on it.

EOS Utility 2 is almost impossible to find for the Mac, as a download link is unavailable for anything newer than Mojave, let alone Sonoma.

I was able to download the old file, but whenever I run the software with my camera connected, it says "Failed to communicate with camera. Check connections".

I know for a fact both the USB camera and (multiple) USB hubs I have tried all work, so why the error on the Mac? The software runs with no issues on my PC.

Is this an old version of EOS Utility 2? Is it an issue with the Apple Silicon? Does anyone have a fix?

6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

macOS Sonoma requires authorization to allow USB devices to connect to the computer. Go to System Settings and check if you are seeing a prompt.

Fix: USB Devices Not Connecting on macOS Sonoma 14 - The Mac Observer

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

johnrmoyer
Mentor
Mentor

The image capture app that comes with macOS will transfer photos from my Rebel T1i to my iMac over a USB cable. In launchpad it is in a subfolder labled "Other".

I usually use the built in card reader on my iMac to transfer photos.

---
https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/

I did try this as well and the Mac detects the camera through this application no problem. However, I am trying to use the remote shooting feature of the EOS Utility 2 program, so this isn't a work around. For moving files, I would rather plug the SD card in anyways. This also tells me it is not an issue of not granting the USB authorization.

IMG_0941.png

 This note is on a download page. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I see this is a changelog for EOS Utility 3. I am trying to use the version 2 as my camera, the Rebel T5, is not compatible with version 3. Does this lack of Apple Silicon support extend to version EOS Utility 2?

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I would say yes since you are demonstrating that behavior. The only way to get EOSU2 now is to download from a version of EOSU3 that will also install EOSU2. That stopped after 3.13 or so. If they haven’t updated V3 to work with Apple Silicon it is highly unlikely V2 ever will. Just my opinion. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements