cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Servo AF Settings - Questions about subject tracking

DaBrownCO
Enthusiast

File this under a question for which I should know the answer. Does Servo AF track the subject even if you don't have Face + Tracking on? I thought that was the case, but the other day, when I had the Focus Point set to 1 point or Spot, it did not track. However, when I used the *, which is custom set to Eye AF, it did track. The image was of ducks on a lake so there may not have been enough contrast, but Eye AF did track. So I'm a bit puzzled.

My set up is BBF with AF-On set to Focus/Metering Start and as stated * set to Eye AF.

13 REPLIES 13

If still having a problem I meant to call Canon.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I did watch that Trevor last night, which led me to post here today. 

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

DaBrownCo,

In response to your original question you asked, "Does Servo AF track the subject even if you don't have Face + Tracking on?"

The answer would be no. Servo would only focus on whatever you aim the focus point on.

Without knowing what kind of camera you have, my T8i manual says that Servo will not track a subject if you are in one of the Zone focusing modes. You have to be in Single Point if you want to track in Servo.

You might look at this guide from Canon Knowledge. Base,

Quick Guide to AI Servo Mode Autofocus Tracking

(do a Google Search for that exact phrase.)

Steve Thomas

DaBrownCO
Enthusiast

I have resolved my issues and learned a lot in the process. It seems like the ideal set up is to have Face + Tracking as focus point and Initial AF Focus set on Auto. This way, the camera seems to pick up the eyes almost instantaneously. The way I had my camera set up was to have Single Point or Spot Focus set on my BBF, which one would use to select a part of a subject, that the Initial AF Focus may have trouble with and then use the * for Eye AF. That is preferred for subjects/part of subjects in branches, grasses, etc. 

The confusion is with the Initial AF Focus tracking setting. I did learn the other day from a You Tube video that Canon may have removed this confusing settings w/more recent models, but I haven't confirmed that. It's very confusing and not real clear

Announcements