cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T7: Photo tint shows blue or sometimes red/purple

Playroomhouston
Apprentice

image.jpg

I have an event this Saturday for my photobooth. My photobooth came with an EOS rebel t7 camera and the photobooth company gave what specs (iso,speed shutter and etc) they recommended but it made my picture extremely yellow. 

i tried to fiddle around and use M, 1/125, iso 200, portrait with sharpness at 2, AWB, F7.1. 

this alone caused more of a red tint in my photos so i changed the white balance shift/bracket to B3, 0/+-0

i also have a strobe, it’s set at 1/2 +0.4

I’ll provide a photo to how the photo looks right now with these settings and I’ll provide a photo of my strobe 

i honestly would like a clear set photo without a red/purple/blue tint. I’ve been fiddling around for the past 2 hours and can’t seem to figure it out. If you have suggestions, please list what i should change. I’ll go through every single suggestion. 

image.jpg

7 REPLIES 7

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Playroomhouston,

Here's one option:

Before you take your shot, put your camera in Live View and hit your Q button.

Tap on your White Balance setting and choose the Kelvin temperature one. With your left and right arrow keys, you can change the temperature up or down, selecting a cooler blueish cast or a warmer reddish cast to suit your taste, prior to ever taking your shot.

Steve Thomas

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What is the color setting set to? If you don't have enough flash power you might be getting mixed lighting. take a shot without the flash, it should come out pretty dark.

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

FWIW, took some indoor photos and they were yellow/amber. I forwarded them to a retired photographer. Problem was white balance.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"i tried to fiddle around and use M, 1/125, iso 200, portrait with sharpness at 2, AWB, F7.1." "I’ve been fiddling around for the past 2 hours and can’t seem to figure it out."

Too much fiddling and over thinking. First reset the T7 back to factory defaults also clear all custom settings. Who knows what may be set incorrectly now. It sounds like you have a simple snapshot situation so try P mode, AWB and a fixed ISO that works, probably 400 as a guess. At least this will give you a base to start from. Never change more than one setting at a time, never.

WB depends on the available light. All light has color and will effect film or digital cameras in different ways. Exposure will effect WB, too.

But first and foremost you must do a full reset of the T7. That is mandatory! Consult your manual if you don't know how.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Odd color tint/shift is almost always a white balance issue.  As kvbarkley suggested, take a shot without the flash and make sure that the image is very dark or you are getting mixed lighting with the flash active causing an undesirable mix of light with different color temperatures.  If so, you will need to adjust your booth location so that it has less spillage of light into it or increase your camera F stop and flash output since you can't increase shutter speed due to shutter sync requirements.

You may also have an issue that your printer isn't properly calibrated to your camera so that even when the camera is producing proper output, your printer color reproduction could be off.  If so, trying to use camera white balance/color temperature to correct for a printer calibration issue will have you running in circles.  I use a DNP-820 printer and I spent close to 2 hours getting everything dialed in from camera through software to printer when I purchased it several years ago.

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Another thing that can be helpful if you don't want to go the full color chart route is a WhiBal, a white/black/grey standard so that you can check out your light at the subject.

I can't link, but here is an image:

whibal.jpg

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

According to the specs the white balance for the strobe unit is 5600K. That is what the camera should be set at after you follow kv's and Rodger's guidance on eliminating extraneous light contamination. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements