cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting R6 Mark II via USB to iPhone to use Mobile File Transfer

robmzynski
Contributor

I need to connect via USB, and Mobile File Transfer will not recognize and connect to my R6 using the preferred cord.

Any ideas why?

14 REPLIES 14

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@robmzynski wrote:

I need to connect via USB, and Mobile File Transfer will not recognize and connect to my R6 using the preferred cord.

Any ideas why?

I do not have any ideas.  It is not clear just exactly what it is you are attempting to do.  

What mobile device are you trying to connect with USB?  What Canon app are you using on the mobile device?

What is this “preferred cord” that you speak of?  What cable are you using?  The camera does not normally include a USB cable in the box.  Furthermore, mobile devices do not normally connect via USB cables.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Wow! Let me explain. I have an R6 Mark II. I need to FTP my tagged photos to a server using a hard line via a USB cord that is recommended by Canon to my iPhone to use Canon's "Mobile File Transfer " app. Using wi-fi is not an option. The software on my phone (again, Canon's Mobile File Transfer app) will not connect or ackowledge connection to the camera.

@robmzynski wrote:

Wow! Let me explain. I have an R6 Mark II. I need to FTP my tagged photos to a server using a hard line via a USB cord that is recommended by Canon to my iPhone to use Canon's "Mobile File Transfer " app. Using wi-fi is not an option. The software on my phone (again, Canon's Mobile File Transfer app) will not connect or ackowledge connection to the camera.

If you need specific answers, then you need to provide specific details.  Help someone to help you.  Tell us exactly what we need to do reproduce your errors.   We need to understand your work flow in order to figure out where it is breaking down.

Again, what is the make and model of the “USB cord recommended Canon?  Your cord should be 1-2 meters long.

What is the version of the OS running your iPhone?

Are you using a Canon app to transfer files to your phone?  The name of the Canon app for transferring images between interchangeable lens cameras and mobile devices is called “Canon Camera Connect”.  

The name of the Canon app for transferring image files with fixed lens cameras is called “Image Transfer Utility”.  What app are you using?

Are you trying to transfer files to a server in one step?  Or, do you first download from the camera to a temporary storage location and then transfer the files to your server by other means?

I have a R6 Mark II. I need to quickly ftp tagged photos to a DropBox server. The R6 does not do that, so I need to use Canon's app called Mobile File Transfer, not Camera Connect. The app states that I can connect to my iPhone, running iOS 17.1.2, with an USB cable, rcommending the Anker/514 Lightning to USB-C Accessory Cable (0.9m, for Camera) to do so. The app supposedly will show the photos available, without loading them onto the phone. It then uses my carriers network to move the pictures to the server. I cannot use wi-fi, which is another method to connect to the camera because I am in an arena with too many users and too much interference. Attempting to get the software to recognize my camera is the problem, as it does not recognize that my camera is connected.

Hmm.  This is a relatively new app that I was not previously aware of.  It has a subscription element.  Customer Reviews have been mixed.

I recommend that you contact Canon Support directly with your issue.

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

You may need the Apple USB Camera Adapter to do this. There is one for iPhone and one for iPad, so be sure to research the correct one. Canon Camera Connect app will also work via USB, but it's proven to be a little complicated for a lot of users.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

robmzynski,

Have you seen the Manual for Canon's Mobile File Transfer?

You can find it here:

https://cam.start.canon/tc/S001/manual/html/UG-01_MFT-i_0050.html

If the Forum software straps out the web address, you can probably find it by doing a Google search using those terms.

One of the things it covers is Canon' recommendations for USB cables for different operating systems.It's been a long time since I used FTP, but if you are required to so, then I wish you luck.

As has been pointed out, there is a monthly subscription fee and the app has gotten mixed reviews.  It's not rated very highly.

Steve Thomas

I have the manual, and it is relatively useless as it skims right by connection to camera onto operation and offers nothing troubleshoot connection problems. And yes, it is a subscription which I will be cancelling since it i useless to me. I plain purchased the wrong camera.

Greetings,

"I plain purchased the wrong camera".

I understand you are frustrated, but this sounds a little extreme.  Your camera firmware needs to be v1.2.0 or later.

Try resetting the network setting on your camera. 

Reset Communication Settings - Camera

Where is the breakdown occurring?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements