cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tokina EF Lens Compatibility with EOS R6 Mark II

stcapp1426
Contributor

I am planning to buy this camera but would like to know if it's compatible with the Tokina atx-i 100mm f/2.8 FF Macro Lens for Canon EF that I already own. I know some non-Canon EF lenses won't work with the new mirrorless cameras. Does anyone know about this particular lens? Overall, I like the lens - it suits my hobbyist needs. Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If you plan to use other Canon EF lenses, then just buy the Canon mount adapter and try it. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

rs-eos
Elite

It would at least require an EF to RF mount adapter (do only purchase Canon's adapters), but that's no guarantee that the lens will fully work.

It would be far better to eventually move to an RF 100mm f/2.8 L Macro.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Yes I knew I'd have to buy the converter and will need that anyway for another Canon EF lens, but was hoping not to have to buy the macro lens right now! But I also knew that might be there case. Thank you for your reply.

Sherri

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If you plan to use other Canon EF lenses, then just buy the Canon mount adapter and try it. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yes that's definitely my plan. No need to replace it until I find it doesn't work! Thanks for your reply.

Sherri

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Sherri,

I can't specifically answer your question but I can say of all the lenses that may have problems, the Tokina line up is probably top of the list. I have tested dozens upon dozens of lenses and found Tokina to be the most problematic as a group. This does not mean it won't work but the only way to know for sure is to try it. If it is your only EF mount lens I personally would not buy the adapter just to be able to use that lens. As Ricky, above, pointed out, "It would be far better to ... move to an RF 100mm f/2.8 L Macro." The adapter is around $150 bucks. Money that could be put towards the RF Canon version of the 100mm macro. It is a far better totally compatible with your new camera lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I bought it initially because it was not very expensive and I didn't know whether I was going to like macro photography. After having it for a year and a half, I realize I do enjoy it. I do have a 23 - 105 EF lens so I will need to buy the adapter anyway. What I don't understand is why the RF macro is 1:1.4 instead of 1:1 like its EF counterpart. Or am I reading something wrong in the specs?

The EF 100mm f2.8L Macro was the close-up lens everyone wanted. It still could be a valid choice for you. Wonderful lens with excellent results both near and far.  But the RF 100mm f2.8L Macro out-performs it in a number of ways. Most obviously it delivers the greater reproduction without the use of accessories: 1.4x versus 1x on the older EF model. 

EB

Thank you! I'm still trying to understand magnification, but someone I know here who is heavily into macro told me that I want 1x. I don't know why and what the difference in the final image would be. If the Tokina doesn't work or work well, I will buy the RF - and it's cheaper!

"... someone I know here who is heavily into macro told me that I want 1x."

That can be true but it is not an end all statement. 1 to 1 is generally consider to be macro. However the ad boys in the lens department tend to throw the word "macro" around with some abandon. A lot of lenses that are called "macro" can not do 1 to 1. So technically they are not true macro lenses. Beside the fact true macro lenses are designed differently than GP lenses.

All advice is not necessarily good advice. You must weigh it carefully when applying it to your specific requirements.

EB
Announcements