cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF24–105mm F4-7.1 IS STM - latest firmware?

justadude
Rising Star
Rising Star

Hi Guys,

Quick question on the RF 24-105 F/4-7.1 IS STM lens.  I purchased the R6m2 this week, with this lens as part of a kit.  The camera needed a firmware update... easy enough, and done.  The lens firmware is version 2.0.4.  Canon has such an odd (poor?) layout with their website, even when you go to the specific product.  Nothing new, I've been dealing with the quirks here for many years.  I can't seem to find anything on where the latest firmware version for this lens is.  

Can anyone point me in the right direction, please?

Gary

Digital: Canon R6 Mk ll, R8, RP, 60D, various RF, EF, and Rokinon lenses
Film: (still using) Pentax Spotmatic, Pentax K1000, Pentax K2000, Miranda DR, Zenit 12XP, Kodak Retina Automatic II, Kodak Duaflex III, and various lenses
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Peter
Authority
Authority

2.0.4 seems to be the latest.

1000005288.jpg

View solution in original post

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Yes, Canon needs to update their web site in terms of firmware.  The only way I could get to the firmware to download (2.0.4 is the latest version, by the way) was to either pick older versions of macOS (back to High Sierra), or pick Windows 10.

There's no reason for Canon to force users to pick an operating system (and an older OS at that) for wanting to obtain firmware since that is something for use by the camera.  It's not something that will be installed on a Mac or Windows PC.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

The lens firmware is up to date already there isn't a need to upgrade it. Canon usually sends out there products with the most up to date firmware at the time of purchase.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Well, I agree that they ship with the latest... but since the camera body in this kit needed to be updated (it was two updates behind), I thought it was a possibility that the lens might as well.  

Gary

Film: (still using) Pentax Spotmatic, Pentax K1000, Pentax K2000, Miranda DR, Zenit 12XP, Kodak Retina Automatic II, Kodak Duaflex III, and various lenses

Peter
Authority
Authority

2.0.4 seems to be the latest.

1000005288.jpg

Thank you, Peter!

Gary

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Yes, Canon needs to update their web site in terms of firmware.  The only way I could get to the firmware to download (2.0.4 is the latest version, by the way) was to either pick older versions of macOS (back to High Sierra), or pick Windows 10.

There's no reason for Canon to force users to pick an operating system (and an older OS at that) for wanting to obtain firmware since that is something for use by the camera.  It's not something that will be installed on a Mac or Windows PC.

--
Ricky

Thanks, Ricky!  

Yes, the firmware section is the worst part of this web site.  This has been ongoing for years, and I'm kind of surprised they have not fixed it yet.  I bought my EOS 60D back in 2012, and I had the same issues with finding firmware... and for three other bodies since.

The operating system stumped me for the R6m2 firmware on Friday.  I looked at Mac Sonoma and no firmware, but I went back to the previous version, and there it was.  I agree - No reason for that!

Gary

"There's no reason for Canon to force users to pick an operating system (and an older OS at that) for wanting to obtain firmware since that is something for use by the camera."

I don't even know why Linux is there. Never seen anything after picking that.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I guess my expectations are different.  I don't see any problem with the layout or selection method to get downloads for your product.  You visit the support portal, select the OS you are using and the downloads which are available display.  They are "buckets".  Firmware is a standard download whether its put under the heading Support > Downloads or Firmware Downloads. One option would be to make all of the firmware downloads .zip and put them under their own heading.   I guess this would be easier.  The downloads for the 24-105 STM has not been properly maintained.  No FW is listed for MAC from v11 - v14.  The current method has never bothered me, so I just use it and have never thought much of it.  With thousands of products, It could change or stay the same, doesn't bother me.  I guess I'm the odd man out.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports wrote:

I guess my expectations are different.  I don't see any problem with the layout or selection method to get downloads for your product.  You visit the support portal, select the OS you are using and the downloads which are available display.  

But this is the problem regarding firmware.  Links to firmware should be readily available.  One should not have to select their OS.  And even if you do select your OS, there's a chance (like in this particular case) where no firmware will be listed.  You have to know to pick a different OS or an older OS than what you have.  I grade the usibility of this as an F.  D- if I'm being generous.

Completely different of course for software or drivers to be used on one's computer.  Obviously you must then pick what OS you're currently using.

--
Ricky

Announcements