cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

recognizing my T3 rebel on my new mac

gailkitt
Contributor

I do not have the original software on my new mac that uses Ventura 13.5. If I download any of these updates do I need to download the software from the CD before any of these updates will work? I tried to download the software from the CD that came with the camera and I cannot do that because that needs to up updated. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can make this work? Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Some of the updated software on the Canon download site needs to have an earlier version previously installed on your computer to update that version. If you don't have one previously installed, the downloaded update version won't install. I don't think that the MAC version of the EOS Utility (that supports your older camera) is available for the newer operating systems.

If you are only needing the utility to download pictures from the camera, it isn't needed for that function. You can remove the card from the camera and use a memory card reader plugged into a USB port on your computer. You can also use the USB cable to connect the camera to the computer and see the memory card as a drive and download picture files that way.

Bob,

I need to be able to download both photos and video. What your saying is my camera is useless for shooting videos since I would need the previous software updates. Since canon does not offer these older software updates I will not be able to download them and therefore the most recent software update offered on the Canon website will not work due to my situation? Is that correct?

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can download photo and video files using a card reader as I outlined above. Use a memory card reader plugged into your USB port on the computer. If your computer has a built in SD card reader, you can use that.

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

The best chance of success in transfering photos and videos to your Mac is via an SD card reader.  What specific Macintosh do you have? Some have built-in SD card readers.   If not, they are quite inexpensive.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

gailkitt
Contributor

Thank you for all of the replies and suggestions. I was able to find a youtube video that directed me to a download from  the Canon site that worked great. I am able to connect my camera to the Macbook pro and download both photos and movies.

Anonymous
Not applicable

What would that download be, so others might be helped?

Hi - I just posted a similar dilemma for my old camera for which I lack the original drivers to load onto a new Mac. Any chance you could share the Canon site or the helpful video that got you there? Thanks so much. 

-kmarko

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I have never needed any extra software to get images/video from a Canon camera to a Mac. Image Capture works just fine.

Well my Mac did not recognize my old camera. I was able to do that on my old Mac, but not my new Macbookpro.

Announcements