cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T7: Lens recommendations for real estate, landscapes, wildlife, etc.

Geekgirl80
Apprentice

Hello, I am a beginner photographer. I purchased a Canon Rebel T7 kit that came with the 18-55 lens. I am wondering if the 75-300 would be the next lens I would be looking to purchase. I eventually would like to get into real estate photography. In the meantime, I am mainly interested in landscape, street photography, wildlife, historic buildings and great shots of the moon. I was also wondering if there is an attachment to view pictures as I take them as opposed to waiting to upload them to the computer. Recommendations for both would be appreciated. Thanks, Colleen

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Instead of the 75 to 300, look at the EF 70-300 II, which is a better lens.

Though this will yield a pretty small moon. 400-600 mm is better for that. One of the 150-600 Sigma/Tamron zooms is good for that.

View solution in original post

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

I would NOT recommend the EF 75-300mm lens lineup it is one of the worst lenses Canon has made. All of which are very poor optically. They use very old and slow AF motors and lack IS (Image Stabilization). I would recommend the EF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 IS II USM lens. This lens uses a very fast AF motor called Nano USM. This lens focuses much faster than the older EF 75-300mm lens lineup. The EF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 IS II USM lens also provides IS (Image Stabilization). Which will reduce camera shake when long shutter speeds are used. The EF 75-300mm lens lineup uses an old AF motor called Micro Motor. This AF motor was first released in 1993 and has been retired by Canon in 2012 and replaced by the STM (Stepper Motor) AF motor.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:

As always everything depends upon your budget, which we do not know, and what you want to produce.  Each has a significant impact on the best gear for your purposes.  For example, shooting for social media, digital display and modest-sized prints is much less demanding than for extremely large, detailed prints.

You have quite a divergent list of intended subjects, which is fine, but no single lens will do  all of that.   The 18-55 you have is OK for street and landscape, and historic buildings, but if you want better performance and range across that (as a walk-around) and for portraits, I would go for the EF-S 18-135 USM or STM (either version).   They are excellent optics at a relatively cheap price with a wider range, faster and more precise, silent focus than the 18-55.

For the longer stuff, I have two suggestions:
1. Within the focal range you mention, I completely concur with my colleagues that the EF 75-300 is pretty awful, and would strongly recommend the superior (in every way) EF 70-300 IS USM MkII - here is an article on that:
 70-300 Canon Lenses In-Depth Analysis - Page 4 - Canon Community
2. Now, that lens will take you only so far as concerned ability to shoot far objects and fill the frame.  If you want to shoot wildlife, and get 'great shots' of the moon, you will likely get better results with the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary lens.   It is a brilliant optic that is relatively light for its range, but will really get you up close and personal with wildlife.  This would be best paired with the EF-S 18-135 I mentioned, thus giving you an almost unbroken range from 18-600mm.  The following image of the moon was taken with the Sigma.

Sigma 150-600@600mm, f/8, 1/1250sec, ISO-640Sigma 150-600@600mm, f/8, 1/1250sec, ISO-640

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Loads of great advice. Wish I had know of the community about 6 years ago. I purchased the Sigma 150-600 lens and find it to be most helpful. I got a bargain on the 28-135mm at McKay's Books (yes, they carry all kind of things in addition to books) at $98. It is the original version but I find I'm using it a lot. My signature will show what I have in the camera bag. BTW, have fun as each day will offer many photo ops.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

5 REPLIES 5

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Instead of the 75 to 300, look at the EF 70-300 II, which is a better lens.

Though this will yield a pretty small moon. 400-600 mm is better for that. One of the 150-600 Sigma/Tamron zooms is good for that.

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

I would NOT recommend the EF 75-300mm lens lineup it is one of the worst lenses Canon has made. All of which are very poor optically. They use very old and slow AF motors and lack IS (Image Stabilization). I would recommend the EF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 IS II USM lens. This lens uses a very fast AF motor called Nano USM. This lens focuses much faster than the older EF 75-300mm lens lineup. The EF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 IS II USM lens also provides IS (Image Stabilization). Which will reduce camera shake when long shutter speeds are used. The EF 75-300mm lens lineup uses an old AF motor called Micro Motor. This AF motor was first released in 1993 and has been retired by Canon in 2012 and replaced by the STM (Stepper Motor) AF motor.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:

As always everything depends upon your budget, which we do not know, and what you want to produce.  Each has a significant impact on the best gear for your purposes.  For example, shooting for social media, digital display and modest-sized prints is much less demanding than for extremely large, detailed prints.

You have quite a divergent list of intended subjects, which is fine, but no single lens will do  all of that.   The 18-55 you have is OK for street and landscape, and historic buildings, but if you want better performance and range across that (as a walk-around) and for portraits, I would go for the EF-S 18-135 USM or STM (either version).   They are excellent optics at a relatively cheap price with a wider range, faster and more precise, silent focus than the 18-55.

For the longer stuff, I have two suggestions:
1. Within the focal range you mention, I completely concur with my colleagues that the EF 75-300 is pretty awful, and would strongly recommend the superior (in every way) EF 70-300 IS USM MkII - here is an article on that:
 70-300 Canon Lenses In-Depth Analysis - Page 4 - Canon Community
2. Now, that lens will take you only so far as concerned ability to shoot far objects and fill the frame.  If you want to shoot wildlife, and get 'great shots' of the moon, you will likely get better results with the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary lens.   It is a brilliant optic that is relatively light for its range, but will really get you up close and personal with wildlife.  This would be best paired with the EF-S 18-135 I mentioned, thus giving you an almost unbroken range from 18-600mm.  The following image of the moon was taken with the Sigma.

Sigma 150-600@600mm, f/8, 1/1250sec, ISO-640Sigma 150-600@600mm, f/8, 1/1250sec, ISO-640

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Loads of great advice. Wish I had know of the community about 6 years ago. I purchased the Sigma 150-600 lens and find it to be most helpful. I got a bargain on the 28-135mm at McKay's Books (yes, they carry all kind of things in addition to books) at $98. It is the original version but I find I'm using it a lot. My signature will show what I have in the camera bag. BTW, have fun as each day will offer many photo ops.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

Geekgirl80
Apprentice

Thank you all for your recommendations! I have some research to do but I do not feel as though I am going in blind. I anticipate that this will be the first of many recommendations that I will seek out.  

Announcements