cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dpp4 version 4.17.20 says canoot import for a CR2 file

Charentejohn
Enthusiast

version is 4.17.20 just installed, first time ever using this, or a digital SLR.
Took some Raw and jpg photos to play around with, jpg reads ok bit the CR2 files, when I click one, gives a grey screen with a ? in the middle and a test message in a white box saying Cannot import Image.

Any ideas as to what I need to do to open them.  Basically I have no idea what i am doing, I selected an image (so it can see them) hoping to then play with the system to see what it can do.  Fell at the first hurdle 🙂  I am guessing I need to be in a particuler 'mode' or such to be able to do something.

If it helps I have picture style editor and that can see and open them ok.

Charentejohn_0-1687681165884.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Charentejohn wrote:

Rick, just says the same as your screen print, Opens with   Photos.

I have put this on onedrive John https://1drv.ms/i/s!AgZCpYNgfmp7jCAxqPtJCGT5T2dm?e=AIM0pf 
I noticed if I just click it it it open in Photos (windows) with the photo top left and the rest black ?  Good luck sure it is just someting I haven't done, usually is.

I get the same results in DPP4. And Lightroom says no preview availanble.

I looked at the image info in DPP4 and then looked back at your original post.

The image sizes are much to small for RAW files from that camera - 4.5 and 3.4 MP respectively.

Something happened to the images. Are these the only two files with a problem?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum.

Try this:

1. create a folder on your computer and download the images from the camera into the folder.

2. double-click on one of the RAW image files in the folder and see if the computer operating system can open the files.

3. Using DPP4 navigate to the folder you created and see if DPP can open them now.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Charentejohn
Enthusiast

Thanks John but didn't work, I have more info now though thet may help.
I opened it by clicking the folder in windows explorere (Win10) and the raw thumbnails appeared.
I click a thumbnail and see apicture with the actual photo top left corner and the rest black, using zoom on the pc the whole thing expands so it thinks it is all one photo ?
Selecting 'Open With' does not offer me the DPP4 option so can't go in that direction.

Getting a little more info for people.  I open DPP4 and go to my Raw files folder and can see the 4 photos there.
I then click one and just highlights it, double click shows a grey screen with the ? etc.
But, if I highlight a photo and select @edit Image' top left tab it brings in the photo top left sidebar and on the right controls for brightness colour etc are active.  Using them changes the photo on left sidebar.

Problem still sort of there as in the middle I have a grey screen with ? in it.  Can't drag it to the middle so no way to work on it, must be something I am missing.

Charentejohn_0-1687697741189.png

Can you post a few of the problem files to Dropbox or One Drive so I can experiment?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings Charentejohn,

While you are troubleshooting, can you please right-click on one of the .cr2 files and select Properties from the context menu.  When the file properties dialog opens, what does windows have listed as the default file association or handler for these files?  (example)

shadowsports_0-1687702425029.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Charentejohn
Enthusiast

I have put this on onedrive John https://1drv.ms/i/s!AgZCpYNgfmp7jCAxqPtJCGT5T2dm?e=AIM0pf 
I noticed if I just click it it it open in Photos (windows) with the photo top left and the rest black ?  Good luck sure it is just someting I haven't done, usually is.

@Charentejohn wrote:

I get the same results in DPP4. And Lightroom says no preview availanble.

I looked at the image info in DPP4 and then looked back at your original post.

The image sizes are much to small for RAW files from that camera - 4.5 and 3.4 MP respectively.

Something happened to the images. Are these the only two files with a problem?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Charentejohn
Enthusiast

No all the same.  I will take some more and try again, I did wonder on sizes as all the Raw warnings are of the space they use 🙂  Still as new seemed ok to me.
I will try some better subjects and settings to see if the size improves.  Just checked an the Raw size is the same as the Jpg size.  Leave it with me till tomorrow and I will report back.  Thanks as looks like there is a solution, had to be something I have done / not done 🙂

Charentejohn
Enthusiast

Bingo you got it John.  Just did d quick shot and now 11.2mb and fills the screen properly.  I went to menu and changed to Raw only, previous setting was Raw+jpg so obviously this camera doesen't like doing both ?
No mention in the user manual just said it saves both.  I will play around with it and see what combinations I get but this is the solution.

While I can’t argue with apparent success 😀  I have recorded RAW + JPEG with all of my EOS cameras at one time or another since 2005 and I never had an issue. 11MP still seems small. How are you downloading? If via USB are you using a data rated cable or a charging cable?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements