cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble Connecting EOS R8 to EOS Utility on a Mac

tjdowling
Contributor

I am having issues connecting my R8 to my Mac via the EOS Utility. I have the latest software and have gone through the user manual. The message I keep getting is:

"Communication with the camera via USB cannot be established.
Start EOS Utility after closing all the apps that communicate with the camera, and then turn on the camera again."

I am unaware of any apps that I have that would be trying to communicate with my camera in the background. Anyone know what's going on? Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@tjdowling wrote:

I am having issues connecting my R8 to my Mac via the EOS Utility. I have the latest software and have gone through the user manual. The message I keep getting is:

"Communication with the camera via USB cannot be established.
Start EOS Utility after closing all the apps that communicate with the camera, and then turn on the camera again."

I am unaware of any apps that I have that would be trying to communicate with my camera in the background. Anyone know what's going on? Thanks in advance.

It is a problem that seems to have developed with the 13.4.1 update to Ventura.

I was able to sync my 1D X MkIII prior to that update and now I get that error.

If you are only looking to download images you could get a card reader. If you are wanting the tethering features then we have to wait for Apple to fix the problem.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

62 REPLIES 62

So why do i have to wait for apple to fix it instead of canon just updating their broken program? Don't understand that... yes, maybe it's apples fault, that it's no longer working but what stops canon from fixing it? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have often wondered why Apple keeps breaking other programs with every OS update? 

The solution is to go to Settings -> Privacy and Security -> Camera and then disable all the apps that are given access to camera.

husrona_0-1695759405405.png

After this EOS Utility will start without an issue.

Best,
Hus Rona

EOS 5D Mark III

Have you tested this? I believe that setting is for the computer camera. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Yes I did test it. I'll see to record a video and can post it here. I think the moment you connect your camera to your Mac, it will be treated as an additional camera, together with the built-in one.

That wiould be good to see.

I tried it on my MacBook Air M2 Sonoma. Didn't make any difference with EOSU 3.17 - no connection either way.

I installed EOSU 3.16.1 - connects fine to my 1D X Mark III with or without disabling apps authorized to use the camera.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

No - this doesn't work. I switched them all off to try anyway. In any event, those settings you refer to are for the camera in your computer, not your actual Canon Camera.

The only thing enabled for me is the Canon Eos Utility. I already disabled everything else, no luck.

cperugini
Apprentice

Having the same exact issue. It's looking like it's a MacOS problem which hopefully gets addressed soon.

tjdowling
Contributor

I'm running macOS 13.6 now. Everything is working just fine with EOS Utility.

Announcements