cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS R5-C Battery Solutions USB-C PD Setup

jonathanhophoto
Contributor

Hi Canon Community,

Would like to share my current solutions that has helped me to combat power issues doing long shoots.  In addition for shooting 8K 60p Raw needing to use USB-C PD

FullSizeRender.jpeg

IMG_9622.jpeg

IMG_9623.jpeg

IMG_9625.jpeg

IMG_9629.jpeg

IMG_9630.jpeg

IMG_9631.jpeg

Anyone interested I can post up links where I got the accessories. 

Thanks everyone!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jonathanhophoto
Contributor

Basically with these items you will be able to power the R5C at 8K 60p with lens functionality.

IMG_9636.jpg

The red colored adapter (Indi Pro) is from the USA at Indi Pro Tools dot com.  But there is another one on Aliexpress which has a different brand label in addition cheaper! It's called Soonwell PD100W on Aliexpress.

The dummy LP-E6 adapter you can use any brand.  Smallrig, Anton Bauer (mine came withe the R5C as a promotion with Anton Bauer Kit Battery Titon Base which I use put on the DJI RS3 Pro), Kondor Blue and Tilta.

This setup allows you to use any V Mount battery brand that has 2 D-tap outlets which is pretty standard. 

The Smallrig V Mount batteries however also has the USBC outlet providing PD* power which essentially eliminates the Indi Pro/Soonwell adapter solution.  But I found I had to plug and unplug the USBC to get PD* going, and in addition would cause issues with other accessories to not power.  So this Indi Pro adapter solved those issues as well as give all my other branded v mounts a chance to be used 😊 

Finally any USB-Type A from the Vmount will NOT provide enough power to get PD going.

*PD = USB PD 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Stephen

That's an impressive setup! You can't post links, but you're absolutely welcome to post where you got your gear, what it is, and model numbers to help other users find them! 

Thanks Stephen! Much appreciated

greggyp89
Contributor

Thank you so much for that beautiful setup! My setup is quite cumbersome to deal with. My small rig eyelet screw stripped and my cage has been stuck on for a month. I don't want to remove it until I find the replacement screw. Then I'll have to figure out the easiest way to remove it. Lol That is a USBC to PTap adapter? So you just plug the USBC into the dummy battery? That supplies enough power for 8K? Also what brand is the dummy battery? Thank you so much I also did send you a message. 

jonathanhophoto
Contributor

Basically with these items you will be able to power the R5C at 8K 60p with lens functionality.

IMG_9636.jpg

The red colored adapter (Indi Pro) is from the USA at Indi Pro Tools dot com.  But there is another one on Aliexpress which has a different brand label in addition cheaper! It's called Soonwell PD100W on Aliexpress.

The dummy LP-E6 adapter you can use any brand.  Smallrig, Anton Bauer (mine came withe the R5C as a promotion with Anton Bauer Kit Battery Titon Base which I use put on the DJI RS3 Pro), Kondor Blue and Tilta.

This setup allows you to use any V Mount battery brand that has 2 D-tap outlets which is pretty standard. 

The Smallrig V Mount batteries however also has the USBC outlet providing PD* power which essentially eliminates the Indi Pro/Soonwell adapter solution.  But I found I had to plug and unplug the USBC to get PD* going, and in addition would cause issues with other accessories to not power.  So this Indi Pro adapter solved those issues as well as give all my other branded v mounts a chance to be used 😊 

Finally any USB-Type A from the Vmount will NOT provide enough power to get PD going.

*PD = USB PD 

Ok let me get this straight you got the indi pro and that solved everything for 8k 60p? With any v mount and dtap dummy battery ? And man how do you manage those cables? What about regular usb c from v mount to camera?

Yes the Indi Pro Adapter / Soonwell (Aliexpress cheaper) will solve the 8K 60p power problem.  

Kondor Blue also apparently makes an adapter like this.

LP-E6 Dummy battery attaches to the D-tap port on the Vmount or Vmount Battery plate.  Please note that the LP-E6 Dummy battery does not provide USB-PD.  Only for normal use.  But once you connect the USB-C then it will automatically switch to USB-PD mode.

Regular USB Type C to Type A will not provide USB-PD.  

Unless you use Smallrig VB99 V mount Battery which has a USB type C outlet that can provide USB-PD to the Camera.  

You could also just use LP-E6 battery in camera.  And then use the the Indi Pro adapter to provide USB-PD.  This way you can hot swap your V mount battery while the camera stays on.  It will automatically switch to Internal LP-E6 once you disconnect the V mount Battery

Ronslick
Contributor

Thanks a lot been such great help. So let me get this straight you got the indi pro and that helped you access 8k 60p with any dtap dummy and vmount battery? What about any usb c solution?

Hey Ronslick,

I try and list out in the following stucture:

VMount battery D-Tap outlet => LP-E6 Dummy => R5C battery compartment  - Gives you normal camera power.  No Lens functionality whilst on 8K 60p mode.

On the other D-tap outlet of the Vmount Battery (if there's 2 outlets)

Vmount battery D-Tap outlet => Indi Pro Adapter => USB C Male to male Cable => R5C - Once plugged in will turn to USB-PD which allows you to have lens Iris and auto focus function

Please note you cannot just have USB-C cable without the LP-E6 Dummy battery or LP-E6 connected.

Cannot start camera just via USB Type C.  

jonathanhophoto
Contributor

On top of my Smallrig Mamba Cage, I attached the Smallrig C200 Top Plate which hides some of the cables under it. (C200 had the Bright Tangerine Cage and got stollen in 2020).

The remaining cables are hiding between the Vmount battery and Camera Body.

Announcements