cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded to Mac OS 14 Sonoma - now can't connect EOS Utility to EOS Rebel T7

CoinGuy
Contributor

I use my Eos Rebel T7 on a custom camera stand to take photos of coins as part of my business. I connect via USB cable to my MacBook Pro and use Remote Shooting in EOS Utility 3.0 to focus, zoom and take photos. Then I stupidly upgraded from OS Ventura to OS 14 Sonoma, and now EOS Utility 3.0 doesn't work. I've checked the cable - it's working, as I see the camera in my Image Capture app. The EOS Utility just doesn't respond - sometimes I get nothing, and sometimes I get to the right screen where I would select Remote Shooting, but it's greyed out and I just have the spinning pinwheel. I have to force quit the app because it's not responding. So, clearly I upgraded to an OS that is too new and isn't compatible with EOS Utility. Is there any way to make my system work so I can still use live shooting? Will Canon be releasing an updated EOS Utility anytime soon? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

There is a paid app called Kuuvik Capture from the App Store.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

52 REPLIES 52

If the OP considers it a solution for him who are you to question that? As an Apprentice poster you probably don’t have a time sensitive need. Just wait for Canon to update EOSU. I don’t even use Kuuvik. I don’t have a need for tethering. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

"As an Apprentice poster you probably don’t have a time sensitive need."

In what way does your "status" on this website diminish whether you have a time-sensitive need or not? What a weird, judgmental thing to say. Do better.

$150 is not in my budget for an app that canon should make free for those of us who paid for their camera. I'm going to complain on social media.

I am using EOSU 3.16.10 w/Sonoma and it connects to my M200. 3.16.10 also lists the T7, so maybe you want to try that.

Some versions of EOSU 3.16 had issues connecting with USB to macOS 13 with Apple Silicon. Not sure if this is what is impacting you.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I'm on an Intel-based Macbook Pro (mid 2017). I was originally using 3.16.10 when I upgraded to Sonoma, and it didn't work. Thanks though.

I downloaded 3.16.11 for mac os, and it fixes my problem thank you so much...

Anonymous
Not applicable

On the Canon support site for the T7 camera, they don't list an EOS Utility for Mac OS14, but do list one for Mac OS 13, so I believe that Canon will have to update their utility for the new operating system. The version for OS 13 is EOS Utility 3.17.1 so you might want to try that version until Canon releases an update.

EOS Utility 3.17.1 Download 

I tried 3.17.1 and it doesn't work either. Any idea how often Canon releases updates?

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

How old is this newly release OS?  I recommend removing the Canon software.  Rebooting.  Re-installing the Canon software and rebooting again.

Apple has fallen into the habit of releasing a major OS update 3-4 times year, which breaks much of their existing code base.  This is an Apple issue that has been going on for many years. 

I have a Mac.  I stopped using it.  I got tired of spending a couple of hours deleting my Canon software and re-installing every 3-4 months, hoping I can get it work again.  Sometimes a minor update will kill the third party apps.  I would rather spend my weekend getting and capturing photos, instead of refreshing my Canon apps on my Mac.

It is not in Apple’s best interests for the Canon apps to work properly.  Apple would much rather see you buy a new camera from Apple, in other words an iPhone.  Canon is not alone in riding this constant merry-go-round.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Major macOS updates are yearly (typically in October).

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
Announcements