cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G1X mk 3 control layout question

TedR
Contributor

I wish to know the function(s) that are available for the small front dial (the one on the front at the right with the red band) I have studied the Canon operator instructions and online reviews without finding useful information. Can someone please help?

Ted

2 REPLIES 2

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi TedR,

Thanks for posting.

The Front dial, by default, allows you to skip through images during playback, but may also be assigned a function in shooting modes. You may see this on page 105 of the PowerShot G1 X Mark III Camera Guide.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you Richard, I had already studied p105, and also associated p214 (which is not cross referenced but IMHO should be) without becoming any wiser. This is probably because the instructions are written to assist someone who has the camera in their hands able to observe menu choices and obtain feedback from trials immediately. That is not my situation, although I did not say so in my message I do not (yet) own a g1xm3 camera, so that my study of the instructions is hampered by not having the camera in my hands. From the instructions the illustration of the menu screen from p105 is reproduced below, the shutter button and * button are both identified with red highlighting however it seems that the front dial is not identified in this illustration despite your statement that these instructions apply to that control. This is confusing. The meaning of the collection of graphic symbols to the right of the screen display I find incomprehensible. It would be very helpful if some detailed explanation of what this means could be provided by you or your colleagues.

p105_illustration.jpg

I would like your help to see if more detailed information can be obtained, I prefer not to make a purchase of a camera so that the control functions can be studied, and then return it for a refund, apart from the time it would take I would be out of pocket for the return shipping. Perhaps colleagues at Canon can assist with obtaining answers to these three questions that are not in the instructions on p105 or 214:

Question 1: in what camera modes is the front dial active?

Question 2: for each of the active modes how many different functions may be assigned to the front dial?

Question 2: what are these functions?

I hope I have explained things clearly and I look forward to your reply.

TedR

Announcements