cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"An older version of the MF drivers exist in this computer..."

wholestory
Apprentice

I updated from Windows 7 to 10 yesterday.  My Canon MF4890dw didn't make it to the other side.  It's not listed under printers.  I suspect the "Unknown USB device" is my printer.

I downloaded the latest driver from the canon website.  When I went to install, I got the error message, "An older version of the MF drivers exist in this computer.  Uninstall the older version of the MF drivers, and then try to install again."  OK, so I went into the programs list and installed the Canon driver and the Canon Toolbox.  Right-clicked and removed (uninstalled?) the unknown USB device.  Unplugged the USB cable.  Rebooted.  Still got the same error message when I tried to install the new stuff.

So I searched my C: drive for anything with the word "Canon" and "MF48".  I deleted all files except for what was in "Recent" and what was in "C:\windows.old".  I want to be able to go back to Windows 7 if necessary.  Rebooted even.  But still got the older driver error message.

Found the DelDrv.exe file in the Canon stuff I downloaded.  Ran it.  It said "No target device was found."

Searched online forums regarding similar issues.  Can't find any answers for my situation.  Can anyone help?  What do I try next?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

wholestory
Apprentice

Ah, good grief.  Finally solved my problem.  Found the solution a ways down in a Microsoft forum thread.

Solution: (In Windows 10)

Right click on the Windows Start button, select Control Panel

Click on Devices and Printers

Single regular click on any of the printers listed (I clicked on Microsoft Print to PDF)

Near the top of the window, a bit in from the left, you'll see the text "Print server properites", click on that. (It's a ways right from Add A Device)

In the new window, select the Drivers tab

In the list "Installed printer drivers:" select any and all Canon MF... type names one by one and click on Remove one by one.

From there I took the option to "Remove driver and driver package" (who knows, maybe "Remove driver only." might have worked)

I believe the next window said something about having collected the drivers, and I clicked on the option Delete.

I did get an error message about "Failed to remove package cnxrpua6.inf. Access is denied".  That's why I wrote above that maybe the "Remove driver only" option might work better.  But the error didn't matter since I was instantly able to install the Canon drivers I had downloaded.  No reboot required.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

wholestory
Apprentice

Ah, good grief.  Finally solved my problem.  Found the solution a ways down in a Microsoft forum thread.

Solution: (In Windows 10)

Right click on the Windows Start button, select Control Panel

Click on Devices and Printers

Single regular click on any of the printers listed (I clicked on Microsoft Print to PDF)

Near the top of the window, a bit in from the left, you'll see the text "Print server properites", click on that. (It's a ways right from Add A Device)

In the new window, select the Drivers tab

In the list "Installed printer drivers:" select any and all Canon MF... type names one by one and click on Remove one by one.

From there I took the option to "Remove driver and driver package" (who knows, maybe "Remove driver only." might have worked)

I believe the next window said something about having collected the drivers, and I clicked on the option Delete.

I did get an error message about "Failed to remove package cnxrpua6.inf. Access is denied".  That's why I wrote above that maybe the "Remove driver only" option might work better.  But the error didn't matter since I was instantly able to install the Canon drivers I had downloaded.  No reboot required.

I was so excited when I saw this post, finally somene solved the problem..!! Like you, I deleted anything cannon or MF from my computer, but I still get this message:  

"The following package(s) can not be deleted:

cnlb0ua64.inf (x64)
This package contains the following driver(s) that are in use:
Canon MF632C/634C UFR II; This driver is used on:
Fabianas Office

The following driver(s) can not be deleted:

Driver Canon MF632C/634C UFR II (x64) is in use. It is used on:
Fabianas Office"

I do not know what "fabianas Office" is...could this be on a different computer? Any help will be appreciated. 

Thank you,

Fabiana

Hi Fabiana.

Please right-click on the MF630C Series icons and verify that there are no documents in the queue. If the queue is clear, restart the computer, and then perform the deletion from Print Server Properties again.

If you are still unable to delete the drivers, please call us at 1-800-OK-CANON (652-2666), Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements