cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imageCLASS MF8280Cw Unable to scan or copy.

cpkdoc
Contributor

I deleted the old software and reinstalled the software from the canon website.  The device can currently print, but it just stopped being able to copy or scan documents.  I updated the most recent patch, but that didn't fix it.  Suggestions?  

8 REPLIES 8

StevenMOD

Hi cpkdoc,

So that the Community can best assist you, we will need to know what error occurs when trying to copy/scan and what operating system you're using (Windows/Mac OS). That, and any other additional information you can provide will only better help others understand your issue. 

cpkdoc
Contributor

There are no error messages.  It runs through the motions of scanning or copying, but the end product comes out blank.  It worked fine the last time i used it a couple weeks ago.  Windows did update since then, but as i said, i uninstalled the software and reinstalled all the new and it still happens.  Oddly, the copy function is yielding blank outputs as well.    

I just ran the copy function with the top open and was able to see that the device which sweeps across the glass did what it typically does during a copy function (light was on, etc).  Not sure what's up. 

cpkdoc
Contributor

Can i get some response please?   

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi cpkdoc,

To help, we do need more than windows did update itself since the last time it worked.

Please tell us:

Windows (version and build) 

Printer is connected to? and how?  (Wireless, Ethernet, USB)

Are you scanning from ScanGear or the MF Scan Utility?  (or tried both)

Do you have a 3rd party anti-virus or firewall installed, (something besides Windows Security)?

Drivers MF8280Cw:

Canon Support for Color imageCLASS MF8280Cw | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

More will follow once we have the details.

Thank you   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I have Windows 10.  Version 22H2.   Computer is connected to the device by USB cable.  I have attempted to scan using MF toolbox scan utility, which yields nothing but blank pages.  However, attempting to copy directly from the printer itself is also giving me blank pages as well, indicating something with the scan/copy device itself is the issue.  I had already updated all of the drivers from the link you provided before I attempted to get help here.  I do have a secondary antivirus, but i have disabled it when troubleshooting this problem and still have the issue.  

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Thank you.  2 things to do. 

One, print a test page to see if the printer is working.  This is independent of the OS.

Second, you do need to apply the network / USB patch "[Windows 32-bit & 64-bit] Patch for Network Scan, USB Scan" (with a restart) not shutdown in between after windows updates from one feature release to another.  Example 21H2 > 22H2. 

Best driver is:

[Windows 64bit] imageCLASS MF8280Cw MFDrivers (UFR II / FAX / ScanGear)

The toolbox is fluffy stuff (optional) 😄

However, you could be having a hardware issue since the printer is ejecting blank pages during a copy operation which is independent or OS agnostic.   

Start by performing a manual copy operating from the printer's control panel. Result?

Next, look at the advanced maintenance features.  Review this section thoroughly.  Printing can be affected if the printer's settings have been changed or modified.

Adjustment/Maintenance - Canon - imageCLASS MF8580Cdw MF8280Cw - User's Guide (Product Manual)

**You mentioned above you were using Canon OEM toners 

If you are still getting blank pages, I'd consider reinitializing the machine.

Initializing Settings - Canon - imageCLASS MF8580Cdw MF8280Cw - User's Guide (Product Manual)

This ImageClass model has a 1 yr warranty from Canon.  Canon Support is another option.

MyCanon

Hope it helps.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you for the detailed response.  I'll try that and see what happens.  

I'm not using canon oem toners.  Again, the device is able to print.  It's just not copying or scanning, and the toners haven't been changed in a couple months and the print output is good.  

The problem didn't begin until windows updates screwed it up.  

cpkdoc
Contributor

I did everything you suggested, but no luck.  I'll reach out to canon support and see what they say.  

Announcements