cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R50 Lens preview looks different from final shot

astar
Apprentice

New photographer looking for help with lens preview

I've now owned my Canon R50 for a couple of months and since the start, I have had the problem of lens preview being different than the final shot. If I for an example take a picture of my trading card boxes it makes them a lot brighter than normally how they look. Changing the settings however I want, makes them still look brighter. (I am using manual) Same goes for taking pictures outside, inside anywhere of anything. Could this be an issue of shutter speed or something else?

3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

You can't judge an image using the LCD since the brightness of the LCD is adjustable.

If you are using Manual mode you would set the exposure by looking at the exposure scale.

Screenshot 2024-05-02 084723.jpgScreenshot 2024-05-02 084630.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Or in this case, don't use manual. For subjects like this, the camera is very good at setting exposure. I always use P.

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

astar,

I'm having a little difficulty understanding your problem. Do you mean that the display on your LCD screen is darker than your final picture? One thing you can do is increase the brightness of your display screen.

I was finding that when I used Auto White Balance, my pictures were looking "washed out" to some degree. I changed to using one of the camera's Preset White Balances, like Daylight or Cloudy and have been a lot happier with the results.

Also, take your camera out of Manual for a little while. Put it in P mode and take a few shots. Let the camera decide what the settings should be in different scenarios. Take a little notebook with you and jot down what those are. {In bright sunlight, the camera chose A,B,C. In indoor settings with this kind of light, the camera chose X,Y,Z, etc.) That might help you make your own choices down the road when you put your camera back in Manual.

Remember that, in most shooting situations, you want to adjust your settings so that the meter reader is settled on Zero, right in the middle and not skewed too far to the right or the left.

Steve Thomas

Announcements