cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wanting to upgrade from EOS Rebel T3i

Amirah
Apprentice

Hi, I am an (27yearsold) amature nature/wildlife photographer, who recently started a small business. I've been doing photography since around 2010, but I never went to college for it.. My Canon camera is an Eos rebel T3i and the lens I have goes 300mm max. I got it for my birthday in like 2012-2013, so I'm pretty outdated..

I'm becoming annoyed with the zoom limit, but EF/S lenses are discontinued and really expensive. So I'm looking into a new camera, but am unsure which one to get and am looking for some help. My budget isn't very high, I can't afford any of the base cameras over $1,500. Ideally I would like to be able to get a kit as those can be a little cheaper. And then work towards the bigger zoom lenses like the RF800mm f11 IS STM(?)

7 REPLIES 7

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Amirah and welcome to the forum:
It would be helpful to know what lens you have that has a max FL of 300mm: would I be correct in suggesting it is the EF 75-300mm version?  If so, it is one of Canon's least performing unit (IMHO), and you might well benefit from a new optic before anything else.

There are many kinds of wildlife, but for most of them you want a lot of reach.  At this stage, given your budget, I would suggest sticking with the T3i body (unless it is damaged) and investing in a Sigma 150-600c lens to replace the 75-300.   The Sigma has great optics, is relatively light for that focal range and you can often pick them up second-hand in good condition (suggest looking at KEHdotCOM) to see what they have on offer. 
Sample Image: Cotton Top Tamarin
Sigma 150-600@560mm, f/8, 1/50sec, ISO-200Sigma 150-600@560mm, f/8, 1/50sec, ISO-200
The body you have is actually still capable of taking great shots - I have shot with it myself and it is perfectly functional. Furthermore, the glass is going to give you far more bang for your limited buck.   I suspect you will not spend the full amount on the Sigma, so I would suggest replacing your current other kit lens with the EF-S 18-135 STM or USM lens.  It is a far superior optic and between the two of them you would have almost continuous coverage from 18mm-600mm.
Example of shot with the T3i and 18-135: Under the Weather, Juan de Fuca Strait, BC.
600D, 18-135 IS STM@50mm, f/11, 1/1000sec, ISO-200600D, 18-135 IS STM@50mm, f/11, 1/1000sec, ISO-200

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Amirah,

You could upgrade your camera, but you'd still be stuck with a lens that only reaches a 300mm limit.

Upgrades to your T3i are going to push your $1,500 limit. Lenses that approach your 800mm goal are going to run close to $1,000 new.

I think I'd agree with Trevor. Invest in a new or used lens now, and start saving for a new camera later. If, down the road, you decide to upgrade to an R series camera, you can buy an EF-R adapter for around $120 and use the new lens you just recently purchased.

Steve Thomas

I can't afford any of the base cameras over $1,500. Ideally I would like to be able to get a kit as those can be a little cheaper. And then work towards the bigger zoom lenses like the RF800mm f11 IS STM(?)

Given the limitations of your budget, but with your recognition that your rig just isn't cutting it anymore, I personally think it is time to leave the T3 behind. Go on to the Canon site and look at the EOS RP with kit lens for $1299. While this is not a top of the line pro rig, it is way better than what you have. It gets you out of dead tech and into mirrorless and full frame.  While the kit lens is nothing more than a starter, it is still an RF lens and wide open at F4 it is not bad. You can save for a better RF lens while you learn and enjoy full-frame mirrorless. Best of luck whatever you decide. 

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

The RF lens to which you refer is only compatible with the R-series bodies, whereas the Sigma can, as Steve mentioned, be adapted to an R-series body one day when you can afford it.   As a wildlife photographer myself, let me emphasize that the glass is a lot more significant than the camera body.  It is a common mistake to fixate on the body.
Because your camera is a crop-sensor one, the numbers written on the lens for focal length do not reflect what you will capture.  Because the sensor crops the image, it has an effect like using a longer focal length lens, and in the case of the Canon APS-C bodies (of which the T3i is one) it has a "multiplier effect" of 1.6.  So the Sigma will effectively give you the same Field of View (what the sensor captures and is the important thing) Equivalent to 240-960mm on a full-frame camera.  That should be more than enough for most wildlife.
If you are not familiar with the principle of Equivalence see this: 
Focal Length, Field of View, Shutter Speed, Sensor Size & Equivalence 

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thank you for your advice! I really do love my Rebel, like I said, just frustrated with the limit. Yes that 300mm you mentioned is the one I have. 

I would rather be able just get a bigger zoom right now anyways. Canon brand is really expensive and all the cheap options I found had low ratings. So, I will look into Sigma lenses for my Rebel to start with.

Thanks again

Canon don't make a lens with the same focal range.  The closest they have is the EF 100-400L MkII, which is a fabulous optic, but pricey.  I think many of my colleagues would agree that 150-600 has a special sweet spot in the focal range for EF mount cameras.
There is a lot of static about Canon and 3rd party lenses.   All camera makers from back to when I started in 1980 have a history of allowing only OEM lenses for a period.  There are two reasons for this:
1.  They have invested huge sums to develop the mount and camera technology that sit behind the lens.  They, not unreasonably, want to sell the lenses they make for a while to get back some of the investment that they put into the system.  Third-party makers don't have that overhead, so on average they have about a 5 year hiatus before they get to get in on the act, and their lenses are cheaper because they didn't invest in the development.  A lot of folks quote Sony's open platform; however, their E-mount came out about 2010 - 6 years before any real 3rd party offerings were available. People now look at the plethora of lenses for Sony from 3rd parties, and judge Canon and Nikon against what happened within their 6-year period, which is unfair.  Six years on from Canon's RF and Nikon's Z mount release, both Canon and Nikon are now allowing 3rd parties on a case-by-case basis, which takes me to the second reason.
2. When a system is under development, there are inevitably changes to the bios and firmware of the systems as bugs are discovered and fixed, along with new features being added.  This makes for a potentially dynamic situation that would cause problems for 3rd parties, so it is normal to let the dust settle before releasing a more stable platform.  This is demonstrably true for both Nikon and Canon, with each releasing multiple firmware updates for their cameras.  Now that Canon are into their second generation of bodies the time is now valid to supply makers with reliable IP to then develop their own.  Sigma have just announced that they are developing some APS-C lenses for the RF mount, which is the same as the approach by Nikon.  The likely reason for this is that APS-C sensor users tend to be more price-sensitive and want the cheaper 3rd-party lenses, so they come out first.

By sticking with your current camera, you can tap into a stable and extensive range of lenses that could well be bargains as some folks migrate across to the RF mount.

cheers, TREVOR

justadude
Rising Star
Rising Star

I was going to reply similar to John about moving over to the RP, then noticed that on the Canon Refurbished site that they currently have an RP for $599 which is a great savings!  Pair that up with the RF 600mm F/11 which is $799... that puts it at $1,400 (just under budget - enough to buy a spare battery, which you will want for the RP).  

I know you were hoping to get the 800mm lens, but this is within budget, and you will be moving to a full frame camera with better detail.  I really like the RP, and have used mine since 2019.  If you can go for an additional $200, then you could get the 800mm lens instead of the 600mm.

If you want this, move fast.  Cameras on the refurb site go fast.  I recently bought a refurb R8.  I waited a few weeks hoping for one to show up there.  When it did, I jumped on it.  It was marked as not available right after my purchase, so apparently they only had one that day. 

Gary

Digital: Canon R6 Mk ll, R8, RP, 60D, various RF, EF, and Rokinon lenses
Film: (still using) Pentax Spotmatic, Pentax K1000, Pentax K2000, Miranda DR, Zenit 12XP, Kodak Retina Automatic II, Kodak Duaflex III, and various lenses
Announcements