cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the EOS R being phased out? Is it a good investment?

kcendrow
Contributor

I'm looking to get into a full frame. THE EOS R with the 24-105 lens kit looks to be an excellent choice. I just read the Canon is fazing out the the EOS R with service good until 2029. Is this true? Is this a good investment?

17 REPLIES 17

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

The EOS R was Canon's first mirrorless endeavor.  It had some revolutionary features and put Canon into the mirrorless game.  Like any camera it did many things very well and some things not so good.  EVF isn't the fastest or best,  Battery life just ok.  Video has a 1.4x crop.  The touch bar..  Some were ok with it, others not.  We've not seen another camera with one since.

Some dubbed it the 5D5 that never was.  I'd buy it over the RP.  From a service life perspective, 2029 sounds about right (approx 10 yrs). 

How to decide.  What type of photography are you looking to do?  How much photography experience do you have?  Do you own a camera now, any lenses?  Finally, do you have a budget?      

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I have a T2i now and looking to get a full frame. My photography interest is people portrait and nature. I’ll make prints b/w or color I’m not interested in video. I have some lens. Thx for your advise. 

We'd still need your budget though to make recommendations.   A newer R-series full frame camera would be the EOS R8 (body only would be around $1,300 - on a bit of a sale at least at B&H Photo).

I'm assuming the lens you're speaking about is the RF 24-105mm f/4-7.1 IS which costs around $400.   So $1,700 for an "R8 Kit" vs around $1,200 for the EOS RP Kit you've found.   Is that extra $500 worth it?  Maybe, but you'd need to be the judge of that.

Personally, I'd probably invest the extra $500.  However, a better move perhaps would be to apply that towards a better lens or a second lens for use with the EOS RP.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Thanks. The R kit i found is $1,200 and that matches my price point. I understand a better lens would be better as f4 may not be the quickest. I believe I would need an adapter to fit my other lens on the R so I'll have to consider that cost.

Greetings,

You'll be fine with the f4 to start.  Check the canon refurbished store for an EF to EOS R adapter.  Also  budget for a few memory cards and at least one additional battery.  I also put a clear protective lens filter on every lens I own but this is optional.  Be sure to post some photos for us after you take your camera out 🙂

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

While f/4 is indeed not the widest of apertures, one thing to note is that it would be constant aperture across the entire zoom range.  I personally mostly use primes, but for zoom lens, I try to avoid variable aperture ones at all costs.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

kcendrow
Contributor

Ok, so digging a little deeper the price i was looking at was not for the R but for the RP. It's not what I'm looking for. Instead the R7 seems to fit the bill except that's it's not a full frame instead it's a crop frame but has APS-C format and 32 mpixels. I'm shooting portraits and landscape possible kids sporting event and would like to make large prints, not so interested in video. I'm looking at the R7 kit with 18-150 lens. Is it just a matter of adjusting lens to achieve a full frame, example I read 50mm will give same angle as 80mm? Any reviews of the R7 would be appreciated. Thx

John_SD
Whiz

No, the EOS R is not a good investment, and its touch bar, which was so glitchy and unpopular that it has never been used on any other succeeding Canon camera, will drive you crazy. Avoid it.

About 3 years ago, I purchased the RP as an entry into both mirrorless and full frame. It has served me well, but I can't recommend it today. If you are wanting an entry level FF Canon, then you should get the EOS R8. That is the accepted entry point into Canon's FF line now. And I think you'll find that the price is right.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,
Sounds like you are getting closer to a decsion. R8 or R7.  I am partial to full frame. That doesn't mean the R7 isn't a nice camera. Its a great camera. I would struggle if asked to choose between the two.

If comparing to the R7, the R8 has a more simple design from a controls standpoint. It's slightly smaller in the hands and some feel it's lack of breadth doesn't offer the ergonomic grippiness of a larger body.  Its on the compact side and can be dwarfed by an adapter or if its being used with lenses of longer focal lengths.

While the R8 has more features, the R7 wins in overall value. They were manufactured about 15 months apart. The R7 is great for sports and wildlife. Its currently the top end of the APS-C line up. Dynamic range is good, but not great. Its got a larger battery.

With the R8 you get a fullframe sensor, better ISO performance, and almost double the number of AF points. Video performance is a little stronger to. You will also get better subject background separation over an APS-C format. A downside, its got a smaller battery.

I understand the challenges balancing budget with features.  For portraits, a full frame camera is desirable.  The R7 is a good option for wildlife.  If you will shoot portraits more often R8, if wildlife, the R7.  I'd visit BestBuy or a local camera store before buying. Hold each camera and see which feels better to you. Canon body's have the best ergonomics. Performance is obviously important too, but a camera has to feel right in your hands.  Unless you're buying used or from a non-authorized dealer (not recommended) both body's are slightly above your stated budget.  This is a good time of year to be camera shopping.  Black Friday next week and Christmas are both in full swing.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements