cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aspiring photographer needing help - Seeking the EOS 7D Mark II

Rmbennett30
Contributor

Greetings all, I am practically brand new to this hobby, and ONLY have a Nikon CoolPix 850, so not much if any gear.  I have spent untold hours watching videos and looking at pics you pros have taken, or reviewed products.   I have very limited funds, as I am a disabled vet / retired city worker.  The VERY last thing I want to do is spend money going down one trail of cameras only to find I should have gone another.   I am wanting to focus primarily wildlife photography / bird photography ( as my wife just LOVES Hummingbirds ).   I also for my pleasure want to do some very basic astrophotography of star trails and galaxies.   I have bought books from pros and gotten hours of learning that way but just lack equipment to put it to work.   I am selling my other hobby gear to get a start into this journey but want to go the best way considering what I want to focus on.  I practically set my sights on the Canon EOS 7D mk ii for what I wanted to focus on, however from my 2 days of searching for one, Im finding you cant get them new any more.  I cant quite afford mirrorless at this point, so my question is....   are there any cameras you pros might suggest me to consider that can still be gotten in new or nearly new condition???   I read the 7d mk ii is discontinued and no longer made.  from what I absorbed from my studies, the canon AF system is my best choice, with maybe Sony a 2nd.    I am thinking my beginning budget will be around $1000-$1500 USD to get a camera/lens batteries and cards....    Might I get some suggestions to consider, or maybe a website to find this gear?   Like maybe a buy/sell website you pros use to get or sell you gear at????

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@Rmbennett30,

Thus far John_SD has provided the best advice.  Considering this endeavor will be all new investment, there are more reasons to go mirrorless than not. 

I'm glad he brought it up, as I had started wring a reply which was similar.  While your photography interests lie in between APS-C and full frame, you will get more value by going mirrorless from the start. 

Body's come and go, but your lenses are the real investment.  Done right, you will have several to move forward with you.  Its also good you have the forethought to factor in cards and 1-2 spare batteries into the purchase.

I was going to recommend a refurbished camera from the Canon store as well.  You won't go wrong here.  I have purchased many refurb products directly from Canon.  Each has functioned and worked like new.  The only difference is the color of the box they come in.  They have the same 1 yr warranty as new gear, so you can buy with absolute confidence.

The R10 is a great starter camera.  I was going to suggest going with the RF 18-150 over the 18-45.  It will give you a little more versatility.  Is it a good lens for wildlife, no, its a bit on the short end.  There is no way around this.  It will take decent portraits with a little composition. Its also on the lower end of your budget, leaving room for needed extras:

Shop Canon Refurbished EOS R10 RF-S18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM Lens Kit |

There is also a body only option.  In this scenario, I might go with 1-2 refurbished or used lenses:

Shop Canon Refurbished EOS R10 Body | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

There is another option, the R7, but it is slightly above your budget:

Shop Canon Refurbished EOS R7 RF-S18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM Lens Kit |  

As I said, your photography interests lie between formats and lenses.  There is not a single lens solution. This will however get you into the ring and shooting.  This is a great time of year to be buying a camera.  I would do it sooner rather than later as refurb deals come and go quickly.      

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I suggest that you contact Canon directly regarding your special needs.  Perhaps a Canon Forum Moderator can post a link for you to use.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Rmbennett30,

Over and above the price, you might also want to think about how comfortable the camera is to hold in your hands. Do you live near any place place that sells cameras like a Best Buy or a Walmart or a camera store that you can actually pick one up and hold it? 

The older I get, the more the weight of the camera becomes more and more of a factor.

Another thing to factor into your decision is the accessories you will need like a tripod and lenses and batteries and a battery charger and memory cards, etc.

Steve Thomas

Rmbennett30
Contributor

That is a super idea!!   Thank you!   we have both near us and I will do just that.

John_SD
Whiz

"I am thinking my beginning budget will be around $1000-$1500 USD to get a camera/lens batteries and cards....    Might I get some suggestions to consider, or mayI'nbe a website to find this gear?"

I cannot help you with where to find a 7D II, nor do I recommend it given its out-of-stock status and outdated tech. I certainly don't recommend buying gear from some guy on craigslist. 

I just saw a refurbished EOS R 10 with kit lens on the Canon site for $799. I've bought refurbished gear on this site and it is delivered in excellent condition and backed by a solid warranty. This rig gets you into mirrorless at an entry level price, and it is not outdated from the get-go. Is it the finest wildlife rig money can buy? Of course not. But it is an excellent starting point for a photographer with limited funds and experience. You will learn plenty and will not break the bank. Listen, before it's over with, you'll have people telling you you should start with an R6 II and the holy trinity of lenses, just "stretch your money" a little more -- you know, like thousands. Given your situation, this is what a I would recommend starting out. It is plenty of camera for someone new. Best of luck. 

Take a look at this...https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/p/refurbished-eos-r10-rf-s18-45mm-f4-5-6-3-is-stm-lens-kit?utm_source...

Thank you much, I’m also thinking e that the 7d2 won’t be a good fit, so am trying to shoot toward mirrorless, and it will most likely end up being refurbished.   Thanks much for your answer

I started out with a refurbished T6 that I purchased from this site. It was excellent for my needs, as I knew I had a lot to learn about composition, the exposure triangle, various settings and their impact, etc. You don't need top of the line gear to learn this stuff. Nor will you end up with buyer's remorse from overspending at the start. Best of luck and enjoy the hobby!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

If the 7D Mk II was your first choice the closest camera to it now would be the 90D. The truth is both are excellent cameras and they will remain excellent until they stop functioning. Could be years or decades from now.  The 7D Mk II is as good today as it ever was and a good working used model can be a nice camera. Either it or the 90D can take any of many EF or EF-S lenses Canon has made. There are some very good used models out there, too.

Still the logical choice would be to go R series but never doubt the capability of the 7D Mk II or 90D. There is no camera available that can take any higher IQ photos than the Canon 90D and Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens at least not to the point to be a factor. That combo would exceed your top budget goal but not to a huge amount.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The best advice is KISS.

I have spent untold hours watching videos and looking at pics you pros have taken, or reviewed products. 

Knowledge is a good thing but overwhelming knowledge is not and can be confusing. YouTube is a paradox. It can be a great resource but it can be a trash dump. Some posters have an agenda they are trying to promote something. Some are fan boys and some are trying to validate their own decisions. Happens ever here on this forum. Just be careful and weigh each one on its merits and if it sounds logical. Common sense rules!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@Rmbennett30,

Thus far John_SD has provided the best advice.  Considering this endeavor will be all new investment, there are more reasons to go mirrorless than not. 

I'm glad he brought it up, as I had started wring a reply which was similar.  While your photography interests lie in between APS-C and full frame, you will get more value by going mirrorless from the start. 

Body's come and go, but your lenses are the real investment.  Done right, you will have several to move forward with you.  Its also good you have the forethought to factor in cards and 1-2 spare batteries into the purchase.

I was going to recommend a refurbished camera from the Canon store as well.  You won't go wrong here.  I have purchased many refurb products directly from Canon.  Each has functioned and worked like new.  The only difference is the color of the box they come in.  They have the same 1 yr warranty as new gear, so you can buy with absolute confidence.

The R10 is a great starter camera.  I was going to suggest going with the RF 18-150 over the 18-45.  It will give you a little more versatility.  Is it a good lens for wildlife, no, its a bit on the short end.  There is no way around this.  It will take decent portraits with a little composition. Its also on the lower end of your budget, leaving room for needed extras:

Shop Canon Refurbished EOS R10 RF-S18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM Lens Kit |

There is also a body only option.  In this scenario, I might go with 1-2 refurbished or used lenses:

Shop Canon Refurbished EOS R10 Body | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

There is another option, the R7, but it is slightly above your budget:

Shop Canon Refurbished EOS R7 RF-S18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM Lens Kit |  

As I said, your photography interests lie between formats and lenses.  There is not a single lens solution. This will however get you into the ring and shooting.  This is a great time of year to be buying a camera.  I would do it sooner rather than later as refurb deals come and go quickly.      

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements