cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help capturing football action photos - Rebel T7 & 75-300mm lens

footballmama
Apprentice

First time poster- long time follower

Recently became the amatuer photographer for my son's highschool football team.  My oldest is going into his senior year and is a captain. I do a good job at capturing stills but struggle with getting action shots that are not blurry.

I got a Rebel EOS T7 as a gift that I am using and I have a 75-300 mm.

Looking to upgrade the lens so that the shots are not blurry. I am on the sidelines as close as I can possibly get to the action. 

Thank you for any suggestion.

11 REPLIES 11

You will have a lot of fun!  My daughter was a soccer forward but she did kickoff, field goal, and point after duty for the football team during the spring Covid season after the coach saw her practicing soccer penalty kicks one afternoon 🙂

Football is my favorite sport to shoot but it did take a little adjustment having my daughter on the football field since I was more used to being on the soccer pitch with her!

Rodger

AS0I2049.jpgAS0I1545.jpgAQ9I7563.jpg

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I fully agree with Rodger and Steve, et al. I  have a T7 and I found that shutter speed, ISO, etc., can make a world of difference. Keep in mind the type of lighting on the field. I have taken action shots of baseball (Got one with the ball off the bat! Pure luck.), caught my granddaughter in cross country with both feet off the ground. I'm saying this before you anticipate another camera. Have you downloaded the manual on your smart phone or laptop? Nice thing about DSLR is you can review a photo and delete if not up to standard. Good luck and my best to your son in his senior year. I have a grandson in baseball, graduating in about 5-6 weeks.

Edit: I'm a bit slow but try some photos with the camera set on the "athlete" setting on the dial. Experiment.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
Announcements