cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HDR Sunset.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The 1st photo is under exposed. The 2nd one is normal and the 3rd one is over exposed. This increases the DR (dynamic range) of the digital sensor by several stops or EV's (exposure value). The last shot is the stacked image from Lightroom.

_DS32822.jpg_DS32823.jpg_DS32823-HDR.jpg_DS32822-HDR.jpg

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
22 REPLIES 22

I assume your point is that too much fiddling is counterproductive. To me, the stacked image has a garish, artificial quality and lacks redeeming artistic value. I've shot a lot of sunsets, and IMO the second (correctly exposed) image is the only one worth saving.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

B from B,

I am glad you are not the one buying the prints then.  Smiley Very Happy  I guess I can put you down as a, no?

EB

Last night...even caught some birds in this one.  Smiley Happy

_DS32913-HDR-Edit.jpg

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Last night...even caught some birds in this one.  Smiley Happy

_DS32913-HDR-Edit.jpg

More water, less sky.

Bob

B from B,

"More water, less sky."

It isn't/wasn't a photo of the water.  It is all about the sky!   Smiley Wink

I am afraid I am never going to drag you into the world of HDR.  Although you have looked at it and didn't realize it.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

B from B,

"More water, less sky."

It isn't/wasn't a photo of the water.  It is all about the sky!   Smiley Wink

I am afraid I am never going to drag you into the world of HDR.  Although you have looked at it and didn't realize it.

But that's the whole point of HDR. If it's done really well, you don't realize it. Or at least you don't notice it right away.

Bob

Exactly, RTF.

I took an uninteresting picture of my (backlit) dog looking out the window. Once with standard evaluative exposure and once with the T6S internal HDR. The only difference between the two was that the standard picture had blown highlights in the window, and the HDR showed blue sky.

The HDR image was much more like I saw the scene, but I am so used to blown highlights in an image like that,  it did not even register as unnatural.

In spite of what "RTF" claims, these HDR shots are pretty close to what it actually looked like.  It is impossible for the camera to capture this amount of DR without it. At times the sky down at the lake looks like it is on fire.  The colors are so vibrant.

They have been a good success for me.  One was picked up by a local news/weather channel and used on TV. Smiley Very Happy

EB

"They have been a good success for me.  One was picked up by a local news/weather channel and used on TV. Smiley Very Happy"

I have had a similar experience.  My local station uses a video screen wall as a photo collage backdrop behind the main news desk.  The photos are of various landmarks in the area. 

IMG_0676.jpg

I see my lighthouse photo everyday behind the weatherman.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements