cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Format of 128 GB SD card cannot be read on Windows PC

RickBudde
Apprentice

I recently purchased a Canon 5D IV and a 128 GB SD card to use with the camera. I followed the manual and formatted the card in camera. I am aware that this size card and larger are formatted as exFAT.

I typically copy my RAW files to my PC usng Windows Explorer. I then Import them into Lightroom (rather than letting Lightroom hand hold me on the Import) as this is my preferred way. The problem is that this card cannot be read on a Windows (7) PC.

I was able to get the photos off the card via a corded connection from camera to PC using the supplied EOS software but this is more trouble than it is worth as I use Lightroom rather than DPP.

I plan to purchase a 64 GB CF card today and the manual seems to indicate that formatteing that card will result in a FAT file structure which should be readable by my PC. What do you suggest with respect to the 128 GB card?

2 REPLIES 2

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@RickBudde wrote:

I recently purchased a Canon 5D IV and a 128 GB SD card to use with the camera. I followed the manual and formatted the card in camera. I am aware that this size card and larger are formatted as exFAT.

I typically copy my RAW files to my PC usng Windows Explorer. I then Import them into Lightroom (rather than letting Lightroom hand hold me on the Import) as this is my preferred way. The problem is that this card cannot be read on a Windows (7) PC.

I was able to get the photos off the card via a corded connection from camera to PC using the supplied EOS software but this is more trouble than it is worth as I use Lightroom rather than DPP.

I plan to purchase a 64 GB CF card today and the manual seems to indicate that formatteing that card will result in a FAT file structure which should be readable by my PC. What do you suggest with respect to the 128 GB card?

I suspect the issue is with the card reader (card slot) rather than the software.

From Wikipedia

sdxc.jpg

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

If you plug the camera in you should see it as a device in the Computer window and Lightroom should recognize it in the Import window. The camera would essentially be a card reader. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements