cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R7 SD Card Formatting Not Recognized By Computer

Sabrena00
Contributor

I formatted my brand new SD card using my new R7, once I put the card into my computer to copy the photos an error comes up and says the files can no longer be accessed and the card must be formatted which has caused me to lose all data. 

This has now happened twice. What could I be doing wrong.  I’ve had a canon Rebel for 15 years and never had this problem. 

5 REPLIES 5

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

What specific computer and operating system are you using? Are you using a built-in SD card reader of the computer? Or an externally attached card reader?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Sabrina,

Just in the short term, does your R7 have a USB port, or a micro USB port?

If so, your manua should tell you what kind of USB cable to use. Using the free EOS Utility program, you can transfer photos that way.

When you get your error message, can you put your card back in the camera, and does the camera recognize the files?

If so, it might have something to with the formatting you are using when you are formatting in the camera. (ex-FAT vs. FAT 32, etc.).

Steve Thomas

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What are you doing wrong?  I would say formatting the memory card prior to copying the files to your computer.

What type of SD card, UHS-I or UHS-II?  Is this the same type of SD card that you previously used?  Are you using a card reader?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Radarspics
Apprentice

I’ve had this exact problem twice now. I’ve formatted the card (as directed by the R7) before shooting and have then photographed and shot video all day, and have reviewed same along the way via the screen. When it comes to copying to my computer ( older MacBook Pro macOS Monterey) via a Verbatim multi-card reader I then get a pop up saying the computer can’t recognise the file. Reinsert the card into the camera and I get a message saying the card “can’t be accessed” (shots were RAW)

@Radarspics wrote:

I’ve had this exact problem twice now. I’ve formatted the card (as directed by the R7) before shooting and have then photographed and shot video all day, and have reviewed same along the way via the screen. When it comes to copying to my computer ( older MacBook Pro macOS Monterey) via a Verbatim multi-card reader I then get a pop up saying the computer can’t recognise the file. Reinsert the card into the camera and I get a message saying the card “can’t be accessed” (shots were RAW)

Please start a new thread for your issue.  Thanks, ahead of time.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements