cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 80D automatically sets exposure compensation while in manual mode.

birds_and_wasps
Apprentice

I was going about usual taking photos, when I realized that all of them were incredibly over exposed. I didn't change any settings since my last time using the camera, so I was confused when I noticed that it had started automatically picking the exposure compensation even when auto ISO is turned on. I found a temporary work-around by holding down the SET button and choosing the exposure compensation while pressing the shutter button but I never had to do that in the past. Any help would be much appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have safety shift turned on in custom functions?

Screenshot 2023-08-23 155928.jpg

birds_and_wasps
Apprentice

No, safety shift is turned off. I should also mention that auto exposure bracketing, HDR, and multiple exposures are also turned off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Try resetting camera settings and custom functions back to default.

birds_and_wasps
Apprentice

I have already done this and the problem still persists. I can set the exposure compensation via the Q menu but whenever metering starts it automatically changes it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried it on my 80D and I believe what you are seeing is the exposure compensation meter switching to an exposure level meter function in Manual shooting mode. Appears to be normal. It is just displaying how far from a normal exposure you have the shutter and aperture set at. Centered, it would indicate a correct exposure.

Anonymous
Not applicable

See this from the manual (steps 4 and 5 mentions the exposure meter function):

Screenshot 2023-08-23 181843.jpg

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Try resetting camera settings and custom functions back to default." "I have already done this and the problem still persists"

You probably did not do a full reset. You must also clear all custom settings. Since exposure comp is not a default setting going back to factory will set that to zero.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements