cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble connect my R5 to EOS Utility

Redshift48
Contributor

I have an EOS R5 and want to connect the camera remotely to my PC using EOS Utility for the upcoming solar eclipse.  I have a Windows 10 (64-bit) laptop.  I have downloaded the latest EOS Utility (3.17.0).  The app opens and only shows button a for Pairing over WiFi.  If I have it connected by usb cable, it does not automatically open when I connect the PC to the camera.  If I close the app, I cannot re-load it without opening Task Manager and ending task first.  I would prefer using direct usb cable connection but since that is not working, I have tried the wireless setup.  It goes through the setup as expected but still does not open a connection window.  I have tried DPP4 but it gives me a message that EOS Utility is not Ready.  I want to be able to use remote live view on my PC and have access to exposure and focus controls.  I have used EOS Utility in the past with the R5 and other cameras but, even though the R5 is shown to be supported, I no longer can get it to work with the R5.  I hope somebody has some suggestions that I can try.  Thanks.

Robert

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, I have both types of cards installed.

I am running version1.9.0 FW.

I was not using the cable that came with the R5 - misplaced it. I tried 3 or 4 different cables - several usb-C to usb-c, and several usb-C to usb-B.

Laptop has a usb-C connection.

Yes, the computer acknowledged the camera with the cables.

Yes, the laptop has Norton 360 (Lifelock).

I am now trying to test the camera on another computer (PC).

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

Hello, Robert!

Be sure WiFi is disabled when using USB.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Thanks for the suggestion but I did disable WiFi when trying to connect by usb.  I also tried different cables.

Thanks for the reply. When I saw "The app opens and only shows button a for Pairing over WiFi", I thought that may be the problem.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I thought Newton's suggestion might be the issue also.  

Please confirm you have an SD or CFExpressB card installed?

Running FW version? (v1.9.0)?

Are you using the USB cable that came with the R5?

Does the laptop have a USB-C / Thunderbolt connection or are you using an adapter on one end?

Does the computer acknowledge the camera when connected and powered on?  Audible detection tone?  

Does the laptop have any 3rd party anti-virus or firewall installed.  Something besides Windows Security?

Can you test connecting the camera to another PC or MAC?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Yes, I have both types of cards installed.

I am running version1.9.0 FW.

I was not using the cable that came with the R5 - misplaced it. I tried 3 or 4 different cables - several usb-C to usb-c, and several usb-C to usb-B.

Laptop has a usb-C connection.

Yes, the computer acknowledged the camera with the cables.

Yes, the laptop has Norton 360 (Lifelock).

I am now trying to test the camera on another computer (PC).

Shadowsports,

Your last suggestion appears to have done the trick.  I switched to a newer Windows 11 laptop and I was able to open EOS Utility and go into the remote live view.  Everything seems to be working normally.  I'm ready for the the eclipse now.  Thank you muchly!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

You're welcome.  Glad it helped.  If I had to guess...  you may need to create an exception in Norton360 to get the camera to connect.  🤔  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Good idea.  Will do!

Announcements