cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS M6: Looking to purchase, need feature info: programmable dials, webcam

Raptor22
Apprentice

Hey all,

I recently bought a Canon R7 and I LOVE it. One of the few things I don't really like about it is the size and weight with the Sigma 18-35 (which is an awesome lens). I am looking at purchasing a used Canon M6 (mark one) with the 22mm f/2. I have 4 questions:

1. Will it easily fit in a jacket pocket?
  2. I'm aware that the exposure compensation dial can't be reprogrammed, but can the other three dials have their functions changed to something else in the exposure triangle?
  3. Will it work as a webcam with a capture card?
  4. Peak design anchors work well on my R7, but I see that the holes on the M6 are different. How do I mount the anchors?

Thanks,

B

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

In regards to your questions.

I don't feel the camera and lens could be carried comfortably in a jacket pocket.  As small as It is, it would still be too bulky for my taste.  Everyone is different however.

You can review the product manual for button mapping capability.  

https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/eos-m6-mark-ii

The camera is also compatible with the EOS webcam utility, so it could be used with a capture card as well. 

https://www.usa.canon.com/cameras/eos-webcam-utility?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwltKxBhDMARIsAG8KnqXk...

I see no reason why you couldn't use peak design anchors for retention.  You could also use the tripod mount or a cage for additional retention points.  

Other consideration.  Since the Canon M series is a discontinued product line, I am reluctant to recommend investment in this ecosystem.  You might be facing limited lens and accessory availability.  Additionally, getting parts, support or repair may also prove challenging.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Raptor22
Apprentice

Thank you so much for the quick reply.  However, it appears that your response references the Mark II, whereas I'm interested in the M6 Mark I (Mark One).  If you or anyone else can provide a response on that model, that would be helpful.  Thanks again.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The EOS M6 was released several years ago.  It does not feature “Clean HDMI” output.  I do not believe that it is compatible with the EOS Webcam Utility software, either.  Not a good choice.  The entire M Seires line of cameras and EF-M lenses is being phased out and discontinued.

The R50 would be a much better choice.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements