cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 5D Mark IV is inoperable

lynnettetoland
Apprentice

5D Mark IV. After trying format SD card camera became "frozen". Message on screen is card 2 is full. I tried another SD card

6 REPLIES 6

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Do you also have a CF card installed? If so, remove that and try again.

Are you using full-sized SD cards, or micro-sized with adapters? The latter can cause numerous issues.

Also, remove all cards and power the camera up again.  Is it still frozen?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

thank you for the response. I did not have a CF card installed and have removed SD card and powered up numerous times.  I contacted a repair service.  They suggested the control circuit needs to be replaced.  Very frustrating,  the camera is only a few months old

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi lynnettetoland,

The suggestions rs-eos made are good things to look at in a case like this. If you have a CF card loaded in the camera try removing it to see if the same thing happens when you try to format the SD card. If you are using MicroSD cards make sure to try a different adapter. Sometimes the adapters can fail causing issues like this.

Another thing to check would be to take the SD card out of the camera and double check the switch on the side of the card is not lined up with the lock symbol. If it is that would prevent the camera from formatting the card. If it is unlocked then we would recommend loading in a different SD card, take some test photos, and try formatting that card.

If the issue continues does the camera eventually become unfrozen on its own, or do you need to power the camera off and on to start using it again? Do any error messages show on the camera, and if one does what does it say word for word? An error message would start with a code ERR and then a two digit number.

thank you for your response. I did not have a CF card loaded in the camera. I am not using a microSD.  I have tried numerous SD cards. I am able to get to the menu but, I am unable to take any pictures.  I contacted a repair service company.  They suggested that the control circuit needs to be replaced

If the camera is only a few months old, the only repair service you should be going to is Canon's. It's under warranty, unless it's a gray market camera or you bought a used camera that is out of warranty.

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

I would acquire a CF card and try it with the SD card removed.

Did you insert the SD card just before this issue occurred?  Although SD card sockets are more robust than CF sockets, it is still possible to damage the SD socket via bent contacts resulting in a short or lack of contact.  This is a particular risk with the all too prevalent counterfeit cards which aren't made to the same level of precision as that of the major producers.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements