cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 70d freezes up after taking pictures for a while

scjohnson
Contributor

I have a rebel t31 and it was freezing up often after taking pictures. I upgraded to a 70D and I still have the same problem. I am guessing that means I am doing something to create this to happen?! Any suggestions? I have tried new batteries, and that made no difference.

11 REPLIES 11

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

Are you taking exposures longer than 1 second and have long exposure noise reduction set to ON or Auto?

Long Exposures: Capturing the Passage of Time

Long Exposure Noise Reduction can be set to Enable, Disable, or Auto. In the Auto mode, the camera will determine whether or not it's necessary for exposures of one second or longer. When set to Enable, the camera automatically applies Long Exposure Noise Reduction to all exposures longer than 1 second. (Please note that at shutter speeds faster than 1 second, Long Exposure Noise Reduction is ignored, and has no effect – thus, it can be left "enabled" all the time if you like, and it only is applied in actual long-exposure situations.)

Long Exposure Noise Reduction works quite a bit differently than High ISO Noise Reduction, as there really is no loss of detail. There is one sacrifice however: your camera will be unable to make another exposure until the Long Exposure Noise Reduction has finished. The time that takes is exactly as long as the exposure it was reducing the noise for. So, if you make a 30 second exposure, Long Exposure Noise Reduction will take another 30 seconds of processing time, during which time you will be unable to take another photo with your camera.

What's happening is this: your camera makes its exposure for the image. Long Exposure Noise Reduction then kicks in, and charges the camera's imaging sensor for the same amount of time, making a "dark frame." The camera then compares the noise in the dark frame with the noise generated in the image, and removes any noise that is the same. This method is known as dark frame subtraction.

The  long exposure noise reduction was actually set to off. It was the default setting and I haven't ever changed that.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Exactly what are you doing and in which mode?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

TTMartin
Authority
Authority
Are you using the same memory card?

ScottyP
Authority

How long does it freeze up?  Are you shooting in bursts?  If shooting bursts, you will quickly fill up the camera's buffer and it will stop shooting until it catches up.  It feels like a long time but really it is only a matter of seconds.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@ScottyP wrote:

How long does it freeze up?  Are you shooting in bursts?  If shooting bursts, you will quickly fill up the camera's buffer and it will stop shooting until it catches up.  It feels like a long time but really it is only a matter of seconds.

And if the OP is using a bad or slow SD card it can take a long time for the buffer to clear.

scjohnson
Contributor
I do often shoot in bursts. It freezes up for long enough that I need to turn the camera off for it to work again. Then it will only take 1 picture at a time. I then have to shut it off b/t each picture until I am done taking pics. Maybe I will try to not do bursts? And not sure about the SD card speed, will check that out. I was using a brand new one when this all last happen, though.
Thanks for your input!

If its simply an issue of burst shooting and filling up the buffer ther is no reason to turn camera off. Just wait until the buffer clears. There is a number at the botttom of the viewfinder just to the left of the green focus confirmation dot.  That represents how many burst shots you can take.

Use a fast SD card - one with a 10 in a circle on it.

https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/speed_class/

http://media.the-digital-picture.com/Sounds/Canon-EOS-70D-Burst.mp3

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I will look at and try your suggestions. Thanks!! 🙂

Announcements